Chapter 2

Rose awoke to the singing of birds and the fresh air of the new day. What a difference it was to London, where she would be awoken by the sound of people and carriages. She sat up, and stretched with her long blonde hair falling down her back. "Good morning Mr Robin", Rose smiled as a little Robin perched on her windowsill,"she went over to the little creature and gently stroked two fingers against his little red breast. The robin then turned to fly away back to the forrest, singing sweetly as he did. Rose then turned around to examine her new room in daylight, it appeared even more magical then last night. Over in the corner, on her bedside table, there stood a little glass of milk and butterfly shaped biscuits. "How quaint", Rose muttered, and gaily sat down on her bed and sipped the milk and ate the biscuit. Rose's gaze was then trapped on a forest green dress, which appeared to be covered with frills, which looked similar to leaves, with a lime green L embroiled onto the sleeve. "Oh no no", Rose laughed as she placed the hideous green dress back down on the chair. How strange country fashion was she thought. She went to her trunk and pulled out a lovely light pink gown, she dressed, then headed over to her dressing table and pinned up her all her abundant golden locks.

Rose was about to walk out for breakfast, when a memory stirred in her mind. After her father's death he had left her a book called 'The secrets of Moonacre Forest", he had left a similar one in Maria's care, though Rose had dared not look in hers, in fear of bringing up sad memories. She missed her father dearly. How she longed to go of to war with him, and stand up to the lions of injustice. Then to find out he had been killed in a gambling brawl, filled her soul with dread. She searched through her trunk to see if she could find the book, and she eventually pulled out an old copy, with its leather cover bound by an emerald ribbon. Rose gently undid the ribbon, and carefully opened the delicate pages of the book, she noticed however one of the pages had been ripped out.

"Once upon a perfect time, there was a forest filled with all animals and all kinds of flowers and plants. One day a baby girl was born, her name was Juliet, though unfortunately she had been abandoned and left to die. The forest took pity on the small child, and decided to raise her within the trees. As the years went by, Juliet grew into a be a beautiful woman, and she loved the forest, and the forest loved her. All the men in the village wanted to marry her, but she denied every single one of them. She wanted to find true love. As days went by, Juliet found herself on top of a hill, where the sunlight shone down upon her creating sun spots which danced around her. As the wind blew through her hair, and the birds sang, a single tear fell from Juliets eyes, for the beauty of this sight. Her tear fell onto the ground, and a beautiful rose bloomed from the earth. As the petals opened a beautiful diamond lay within the flower, so bright it shined like the stars. The forest had blessed her with this gift because of her kindness and love for all plants and creatures. From then on she was known as the Forest princess. The diamond held a great power, it could grant any wish good and evil, Juliet kept them hidden and safe from the world. The only one who knew was her best friend, the Moon Princess. Years went by, and the two friends fell in love with two boys each from a different family. The Moon Princess fell for Sir Wrolf Merryweather, and the Forest Princess for Sir Thorn De Noir. Juliet truly believed she had found true love, however when she revealed the diamond, and the moon princess revealed the moon pearls, the greed and hatred in mens hearts rose up and took over them. In order to save the valley and the forest, the two girls cast a curse through out the land. One day two pure hearts would walk among them and if they were not heard, the valley and forest would be plunged into eternal darkness!"

Rose slammed the book shut. The chill of the last words haunted her very soul. Just then she heard a knock at her door and Maria came in, "Morning Rose, did you get biscuits as well?" Maria asked eyeing my empty plate and glass. "yes I did, do you know you put them there? Along with this dress?" Rose said with a smile and help up the ridiculous dress. "No" Maria cried laughing as she gazed upon the outfit with sheer amusement. The two girls flopped onto the bed and laughed, "your room is lovely!" Maria exclaimed, "mine has stars instead of clouds, and a painting of the countryside round the walls", she added. "That sounds wonderful Maria" Rose replied, picturing in her head what Maria's room looks like. "Shall we go down to breakfast", Rose asked, and the two girls arm in arms hurried off downstairs. 

They were about to enter the dining room, when they bumped into Sir Benjamin, "where did you get this?" he questioned Maria, as he took father's book from her. "My father gave it to me," she replied innocently. "Well he had no right, it belongs here", he stubbornly took the book away into the library, which was forbidden. "Uncle, you can't.." Rose cried after him, but she was cut short as he slammed the library door shut. "Miss Heliotrope!" Maria called, her words became muffled, as Rose stayed in the hall, glaring at the library door, as if she could burn through it. Rose came back in and sat down at the table just as Miss Heliotrope instructed Maria to do the same. I plate of French toast, eggs and berries was handed to Rose by Digweed "thank you Digweed" and she began eating, though she wasn't too hungry after the biscuits. Just then Sir Benjamin came back in, and Maria glared at him harshly. He sat down and poured himself a large glass of coffee and then broke an egg into it. Rose couldn't believe her eyes, she watched with deep interest as he proceeded to drink the vile poison. Rose thought her uncle was strange, perhaps the strangest man she had ever seen. 

Miss Heliotrope started talking about how good the food was, "Rose, Maria you really must try these eggs" only to receive a harsh response for Sir Benjamin,"yes, best enjoyed in silence". Miss Heliotrope however continued about the chef "have you had her long" she asked. "Miss Heliotrope, no women have set foot in this house for many years, and believe me the silence has been blissful," Sir Benjamin replied. The final straw happened when Miss Heliotrope started talking about her trapped wind, which caused Sir Benjamin to explode in a fit of rage. The room was silent. Rose, Maria and Miss Heliotrope all gazed on Sir Benjamin with a expression of shock. After a while Maria broke the silence by asking "tell us Uncle, why did you invited 3 noisy females into your nice quiet home?" Sir Benjamin began talking bout how their father was a fool and his money problems, "HOW DARE YOU! My father was a good man!" Rose exploded, it was the first thing she had said that meal, to hear her uncle talk so poorly of her father angered her more then anything, she rarely ever got angry, so it was quite a shock to Maria and Miss Heliotrope as well. 

"Yes, and died in a gambling brawl", Sir Benjamin firmly replied, Maria then joined in saying "he fought for his country", not allowing her father to be so insulted. "He borrowed to much money, too many times from the wrong sought of people. He didn't let me give him anything, damm fool and his pride". Rose's uncle suddenly had a look of grief on his face, and it saddened Rose. "You are both Merryweather's Rose and Maria, you belong here at Moonacre, nothing else to be done". It then was silent again, with the exception of the loud belch Miss Heliotrope let out, breaking the tension. However no one could see the small tear fall from Rose's face as the memory of her father was brought back. "Daddy" she whispered.

 "Daddy" she whispered