8

Once, Gamora and I were fighting on a ledge that overlooked the lake, and I made a smart remark that annoyed her. She slammed me in the head with the flat of her blade and then kicked me in the stomach so hard I stumbled backwards and fell over the edge.

The water slapped me hard in the back as I slammed into it and the air whooshed out of my lungs, leaving me gasping for breath as I sunk beneath the water. Liquid filled my lungs and I couldn't tell which way was up or down, which way was life, and which way was death.

If Gamora hadn't pulled me out, I still would be trying to figure it out.

That feeling hits me now, of not knowing which way to turn to find lifesaving oxygen. As Heimdall steps out of the crowd and begins to slowly walk up the aisle, I see Gamora and Nebula immediately start out towards him. Although he shows no resistance, they will take no chances with a former Avenger.

Why would Heimdall be chosen? He was already punished for the Endgame. He practically can't see or hear anymore! Why are Thanos and the Black Order punishing him again?

Gamora and Nebula reach Heimdall and turn, escorting him up to the dais. He goes slowly, leading with his staff, and every eye in the throne room is fixed on him, including mine. Heimdall is the most liked Avenger in Asgard. He's calm and patient, not drunk most of the time like Valkyrie or frightening like Hela. Asgardians seem to have actual respect for him.

But nobody is going to stand up and protest this outrage, because Thanos is too strong.

As Heimdall and the daughters of Thanos reach the foot of the dais, I can't stand it anymore. Somebody has to do something, and I realize I've been subconsciously waiting for Volstagg to volunteer. But he won't; first, because he and Sif both can't make it back, and second, because no one interferes when Thanos is punishing an Avenger.

"All right, enough!" I yell, stepping out of my place, and striding over to the center of the dais. "I volunteer as contender!"

There is complete silence in the throne room as all eyes turn to me in disbelief. Although volunteering for another contender is perfectly legal, nobody has ever volunteered for an Avenger before. It's one of the unspoken rules of conduct we have for the Contest. You don't step between Thanos and a targeted Avenger.

And I just did.

Gamora and Nebula have stopped beside Heimdall, all three of them staring at me in shock. I can't hide the anger and determination I know is present in my eyes, although I'm struggling to maintain my façade as best I can. There are traces of sorrow in Gamora's expression as she just looks at me, anger humming beneath her surface. But there is a hardness in Nebula's eyes as she regards me, like she's running calculations on my odds of ever returning.

And Heimdall truly looks sad as he looks at me before he casts his gaze down, shaking his head slightly, his dark dreadlocks rustling slightly as he did so.

Jane's voice breaks the silence. "And we have a volunteer!" she says, walking over to me. But when I turn to her, I can see the unease in her eyes. "Let us welcome Asgard's newest contender, Loki Odinson!"

But not one of the Asgardians clap; instead, there is complete silence from the crowd. And then, something else happens. And it surprises me.

It starts in the front row and dominoes back through the crowd. The Asgardians clap their right fists over their hearts and genuflect, bowing their heads down. All of them do so, including Fandral and Volstagg, their expressions truly bewildered. Even Heimdall drops to one knee, leaning on his staff, as Gamora and Nebula glance back over the crowd, Nebula uncertain as Gamora looks a little defiant.

This is a reverence shown only to the king of Asgard, a sign of allegiance and trust. But I am neither king nor trusted. And yet, here they are, showing me their loyalty.

Behind me, Odin stands involuntarily at the gesture. When I look over at him, he has almost a bewildered expression, with a mix of disapproval, engraved in his features. He doesn't know why I, the son who hasn't earned any honor, is being shown such a gesture of trust when neither Thor nor Hela ever received it.

I don't know, either.

Frigga has involuntarily started forward, her eyes worried, but then she regains her composure and steps back into her place, her expression once again becoming a tranquil mask. She cannot afford to show her concern for me. On the other side of the dais, Thor's eyes have widened in astonishment, Hela smirks slightly, and Valkyrie pins her gaze on me.

"Ooh, this is going to be fun," she says, stumbling forward. "A volunteer for an Avenger! This will certainly close the first round of Contests well!"

Hela pulls Valkyrie back and Jane guides me over to stand next to Sif. Thor's friend regards me coolly for a moment before directing her eyes back to the audience.

"And we have our contenders!" Jane announces, laying her hands on our shoulders and smiling out at the crowd.

Gamora and Nebula are resuming their spots, but Heimdall has not moved from where he stopped earlier. He looks up at me, and I can see he doesn't know what to make of my sacrifice. He never expected anything like this.

"Loki," he begins. "Did you think this through?"

"Of course I did, Heimdall," I say stoutly. "I always think things through."

Nebula glances from me to Heimdall and then starts to move towards him, but the former gatekeeper takes the hint and turns back toward the crowd, vanishing in the throng, and the daughter of Thanos steps back into place.

And now I actually start to think about what I've done, for I was lying to Heimdall. I had just acted, and me just acting never ends well. For me, at least.

What I did: I volunteered, saving Heimdall but probably dooming myself. I stepped between an Avenger and Thanos' retribution. I startled everyone in Asgard.

Why did I do that? Why did I actually volunteer? There's Odin, and there's honor, two related reasons. Or I did it because I couldn't stand to see Heimdall take any more punishment for the Endgame.

Why? I'm not exactly the hero type. Anyone could tell you that. I'm not selfless. I'm not one to give my life so someone else can walk away.

Yet, I stood and took Heimdall's blame, intentionally or not.

Now Thanos will punish me.

This isn't going to end well.