11

The screen brightens, going from a solid black to a lighter color before the image comes in. The announcer welcomes everyone to the "beginning of the 36th Contest of Champions!" Then he introduces District 1 and the recap of their Reaping begins to play.

The scene shifts, showing the landscape of Wakanda, District 1. The large, stone statue of a panther slides before the camera, the grass plains coming into focus as the drums start to play, the African music pounding through the speakers.

The camera switches view to the top of a waterfall, where the district is gathered for the Reaping. Warrior Falls, I believe it is called. T'Chaka stands in the shallow water near the edge of the waterfall, spray misting over his back as he faces his people. To his right stands his queen, Ramonda. To his left are the proud former champions of Wakanda.

First, there is Zuri, who now advises T'Chaka. Next to him stands T'Challa, Shuri beside him. They are siblings, children of T'Chaka. Two children, two champions. I feel like sometimes they're the reason Odin wanted me to volunteer, so he could have three children and three champions. Like Asgard, District 1 only has three champions in total.

The Reaping begins, Okoye of the Dora Milaje being called as the female contender and Erik Killmonger as the male one. The announcer mentions both of the contenders' experience with battle and trained fighting, saying Wakanda's chances are "very good this year."

District 2 is next, which is HYDRA. Red Skull rules this district, which is very in league with Thanos, as Red Skull owes his return to the regular world to the Titan. Hela told me once that Red Skull had fooled around with the Tesseract before Thanos had taken it and had been yanked out of the world, deposited who knows where. Captain America had fought with him, years before Thanos, and it was that battle that sent him into the ice.

Former champions of the district ruled now by HYDRA include James Barnes, Bruce Banner, Ava Starr, and Darren Cross. This district has a good winning streak, with four champions total. District 3 has the best record out of all the districts, but HYDRA's champions usually are good at putting on a show. Theatrical, you might call them.

The female called up is Natasha Romanoff. As she comes forward, red hair curling off her shoulders, I instantly see a threat in her. The way she holds herself, the way she moves, is all an indication of the deadly weapon she is. She'll be another favorite.

The male's name read sentences a Cooper Barton to compete in the Contest. A young boy, probably fifteen at most, begins the walk up to the platform when a man, short and sturdy, races up to the boy and cuts in front of him, arms spread out to protect him. There's a fire blazing in his eyes, his features resembling Cooper's closely.

"I volunteer!" he shouts loudly, as if making sure nobody can be mistaken as to his intent.

I lean forward. Another enemy. "He's got heart," I murmur.

The volunteer turns out to be the boy's father, Clint Barton. When he and Natasha acknowledge each other, the microphone barely catches the words from the redhead, "Just like Budapest."

"You and I remember Budapest very differently," Clint shoots back quietly.

District 3 is next, otherwise known as SHIELD. Alexander Pierce and the World Security Council sit in a half-circle on a large platform before the people of the district. The champions, Hank Pym, Sam Wilson, Scott Lang, Steve Rogers, and Hope Van Dyne stand behind the Council. This is the favored district, having five champions, the most any district has ever gained.

"Cassie Lang!"

The words summon a young girl, fifteen, who walks stiffly up to the platform as a scream comes from a blonde woman near the edge of the crowd. She tries to run forward but a man darts after her and grabs her waist, holding her back.