54

I react first, just a fraction of a second before Veers, Clint, or Natasha. I bring my spear up from where I've been holding it by my side, driving for Clint's heart.

The archer dodges at the last second, the sword falling from his hand as he catches the spearhead in his upper arm. He hisses in pain as he stumbles back, away from me, and steps into the Gauntlet, right on top of my pack.

"You're my bestest friend."

The creepy voice startles everyone, including me, having completely forgotten about Cassie's talking stuffed rabbit. Clint twists, frantically trying to pinpoint the source of the noise as he falls. "Holy –"

Veers lunges forward, her forearm slamming into his chest as she streaks across the space, throwing him into the inner wall of the Gauntlet. I spin toward Natasha, bringing my spear up as she connects her batons together, forming her staff.

Our weapons slam together and we begin to try to outmatch the other, whirling and blocking and stabbing and parrying, trying to batter down the other's defenses. Out of the corner of my eye I see Clint thrust a knife into Veers' abdomen and the Kree falls back, but her face is pulled into a snarl, not a grimace of pain. The archer moves away from her, trying to reach the katana he dropped when I attacked him.

One of Natasha's batons slips past my defenses and the end of it slams into my stomach, a burst of electricity jolting through me. My tunic is still slit from Carnage's blade and so my outfit's armor doesn't block the electricity.

I grit my teeth against the pain, feeling my muscles stiffen. Natasha's eyes narrow but I see she's enjoying my pain. Well, I can take a jolt of electric pain any day.

I manage to hurl myself backwards and lift my spear just as the Black Widow lunges forward. She tries to dodge but only ends up avoiding a fatal blow from the spear. Instead, it lodges in her upper arm and I shock her with a burst of electricity, baring my teeth in a sadistic grin of pleasure.

Two can play at this game!

Veers is rushing back at Clint, but not only has he found his sword, he's found his bow and a spare arrow. He sticks the arrow in his quiver, clicks something on the bottom of the holder, and then places it on the string of the bow.

He shoots, but not at Veers.

The arrow spirals towards me as Natasha rips away from the spearhead, clutching her arm in pain, and I've just shoved back up onto my feet when the arrow reaches me. Swiftly, I snatch it from the air and just look at it for a moment, wondering why Clint even bothers to try after seeing my quick reflexes. I'm just arching an eyebrow at him when the arrow explodes.

The force propels me backwards and I slam into the side of the Gauntlet, the air knocked out of my lungs. I fall forward, almost face planting into the grass, but I manage to catch myself just in time, my hands planted in the ground. Gasping for breath, I glance up, flinging my hair back out of my face as I scowl, as Clint charges toward me with his katana.

"Enough!" I yell, catapulting to my feet. Reaching out to my magic, I thrust the telekinetic force out and away from me, catching Clint in the wave and hurling him backwards like a rag doll. Natasha and Veers, fighting on the other side of the Gauntlet mouth, are also tossed to the ground by the force of my magic. I stand there, panting, staring at the other three as they moan and try to pull themselves off the ground, not daring to move because I don't want my opponents, ally, or the audience to see the trembling in my limbs, the slight tremors running through my body, or even the wildness in my eyes.

Too much power just left me and I know that to take a step forward would be to reveal my sudden weakness. So I just stand, fingers curled tightly into fists, as I pant, catching my breath as Clint staggers to his feet, Natasha and Veers clambering to theirs. The redhead's upper arm is bleeding heavily from my spear thrust and the piping on her suit is glowing bright blue as she aims her wrist at Veers, launching a taser disk at the Kree.

Veers takes the shock well, only stumbling for a moment before she's charging toward Natasha. Clint races to help his ally and I take another deep breath before forcing my legs to move, to carry me forward. This battle has to end here.

Veers is fending off both of the District Two contenders, holding her own fairly well. Natasha has a garrote in her good hand and is attempting to get it over the Kree's neck, but Veers manages to grasp the wire in her hand and yanks downward, pulling the HYDRA contender off balance. Natasha somehow converts her momentum into a flip, landing on her feet as I join the battle.

Clint instantly turns, sliding the katana blade into my side before I have time to snap his neck. I pivot, gritting my teeth as the sword slashes out of my flesh, and summon a dagger in time to receive an electric jolt to the neck as Natasha jabs her wrist gauntlet into my neck. I flinch, bending away from the weapon, as Veers grabs hold of Clint's arm and flips him away from me.

"See you in a minute," Natasha murmurs, I'm presuming to Clint, but then I bring my dagger up and slit her throat. Her body crumples to the ground as the blood stains her chest and I hold my injured side as I glance up at Veers and Clint.

Natasha's cannon booms as Veers twists Clint's sword away from him, ignoring the knife he suddenly produces and stabs into her injured shoulder, reopening the wound, and impales him upon his own katana.

The second cannon sounds, and then there's silence.

Veers turns, looks over at me, and I return her gaze steadily. Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton are dead. We are the only two left.

It's time.