Chapter 3

Blackpaw stood there still. Blueherb padded up to him and asked, "Are you OK?" Blackpaw nodded his head and said, "I need to sleep now. See you tomorrow." Blackpaw walked away to the medicone cat den. He soon fell asleep in one of the empty nests.

The next morning...

Blackpaw woke up to a paw prodding him awake. "Whaaaaat?" He groaned as he got up. Blueherb was there. Blackpaw shot up. "Oh! Sorry!!!"

Blueherb chuckled. "You are a deep sleeper. Time for training. "

Blackpaw had almost forgotten that yesterday Blackstar said that Blueherb was his new mentor. "What are we doing?" Blackpaw asked as he shook moss from his fur.

"I'm going to see how you sort herbs." Blueherb said. "Sort these." He said flicking his tail at a pile of herbs.

Blackpaw looked at the herbs. He tried his best to sort the herbs by color and smell. After he was done Blueherb checked the pile. "Wow." Blueherb said.

"What is it?" Blackpaw asked, now curious.

"You..." Blueherb started. "... got it all right."

Blackpaws jaw hung open. What? All right? How?!

"I'm not surprised." Blueherb said. "I had a dream of a black berry next to me, training."

Blackpaws jaw hung open more. "Why didn't you tell Blackstar?" Blackpaw asked.

"He...." Blueherb stopped suddenly. "Don't tell anyone i told you this." He paused then continued. "He's not your father."

Blackpaw gasped. "Who is then?"

Blueherb looked into Blackpaws eyes. He replied, "Firestar. Firestar is." Then he fell down.

Blackpaw yowled in sorrow. Blackstar immediately ran in. "What-" he began but he paused looking at Blackpaw who was standing there crying.

More cats entered the den, wondering what had caused so much pain for a cat to yowl out. Blackpaw suddenly felt as if he had done this before. He felt the urge to do it again of what he felt he did before today. "BLUESTAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!" Blackpaw yowled out which echoed through teh clearing.

The clan stood there shocked for they heard not the voice of Blackpaw, but Firestar. Those who remembered his voice gasped and whispered to eachother. Blackstar puffed out his fur making him look twice his size.

"Blackpaw." Blackstar said.

The apprentice turned around. "Where did you get that kittypets voice from hmm?" Blackstar asked his son.

Fear shone in Blackpaws eyes as he replied, "I-I don't k-know." He stammered and looked up at his father.

"Well then." Blackstar replied. "I thought you knew who your real father is." Gasps came from the clan. "Your real father is Firestar." Blackstar said that with a hint of sadness.

"But how?" "Firestars dead!" Cats meowed at Blackstar like they were yelling at Starclan for answers.

"Silence!" Blackstar yowled. "And i will explain."

The crowd of cats quited down and sat down to listen. "After Firestar died his mate, Sandstorm got pregnant and died before she gave birth. It would be moons before her kits were born so one of the medicine cats forcefully stuffed the kits into a she-cats belly. After moons and moons the kits traveled from queen to queen and my mate birthed the kits shortly after she got them. Their fur color changed from the different cats and because they were born with Whitestorm they gained what our kits would have looked like."

As Blackstar said that the same thought passed through everyones mind, Blackpaw is Firestars son?!