Prologue

Two months after Tony's death, disaster has struck. Baby John and A-Rab have been killed by other gangs. Maria has killed herself. Her parents have moved back to Puerto Rico. Anita has become depressed while running the bridal shop, and has vowed to stay single. Diesel has become a drug addict and has gotten Velma pregnant. Graziella has become a stripper. Doc had a heart attack.

Is there hope? Only Anybodys and Action have gotten off okay, getting married and moving to New Jersey to become counselors for troubled kids.

The Jets and the Sharks are in ruins. Death and depression have taken their toll on them.

But let's go to Doc's store. It's dead silent, the middle of the night. A pair of young lovers are outside. One smokes a cigarette. The other shakes his head in disapproval. "Riff, I wish you wouldn't do that. It's terrible for your health." Riff smirks and obediently puts out the cigarette. "Have I ever told you how much I love your accent?" Bernardo smiles. "Are you ready to get away?" Riff smiles now, too. "You know it, buddy boy." They take each other's hands and share a kiss in the moonlight.

Riff and Bernardo faked their deaths. They're running away to another part of New York to get away from everything, so they can love in peace.

They're ready for their new story.