Life Without Love

Riff's POV

I haven't heard from Doc since his last letter. I wish I could know what was going on back home. Is she okay? God, I hope she's okay. If she got hurt...if she died...I don't know what I would do. To never see her smile again? Never hear her laugh again? Never see her beautiful dancing again? I would fall apart, and no one would be able to find all the pieces to make me whole again.

Bernardo's POV

What would if I lost Riff? How would I manage? If he got hurt...if he died...I don't know what I would do. If I would never see his smile again, never hear him laugh, never see his sweater paws? I love him so much. I would shatter into a million pieces if I lost Riff, and no one would be able to find all the pieces to make me whole again.

Jason's POV

I'm so lucky to have Rosalia. She's so beautiful, so amazing. What would I do if I didn't have her anymore? I don't think I could bear it. If I could never see her smile, never hear her laugh, never see her dress flicking in the wind, I would dissolve away into nothingness, and no one would be able to find all the pieces to make me hold again.

Riff's POV

Graziella's greatest fear is heights. That night when I go to bed, she haunts my nightmares. I see a shadow lurking around the corner. Intrigued, I walk after it. It's Graziella, wearing a long, cream dress with a bright blue sash. She curls her finger, beckoning me. I follow, hypnotized, after her. We climb up several flights of stairs until we reach the roof of a building. We're high, very high. Grazy walks slowly to the edge of the roof and climbs up. "Grazy..." I say, an edge of nervousness in my voice. Please, please don't let her fall. She turns and smiles at me over her shoulder. "Goodbye, Riff." I panic now. "Graziella, what are you doing?" She turns away, leaning forward. "Graziella!" My feet are rooted to the ground. They only unstick as she falls. I rush forward and lean over the ledge. I wish I could catch her. I wish I could help her back onto the roof. But I can only watch as she falls, her arms spread, her hair fluttering around her, her dress billowing up. I watch in horror as she falls down and hits the ground, gone.

Bernardo's POV

Riff's greatest fear is being kidnapped. That night, when I go to bed, he haunts my nightmares. We're walking down a street. Riff is laughing, the corner of his eyes crinkled, his teeth shining. Suddenly, he is snatched away from me. When I blink, we're in an alleyway. Two men in dark clothing have Riff on his knees, his arms pinned behind his back. One holds a hand over his mouth. A third has a gun on his head. I try to scream, try to run and save him, but my voice is gone, and I'm rooted to the spot. I can see tears on his face. No. This can't be happening. Please, please don't let it be happening. Riff struggles, but the men hold him forcefully in place. The third man has a maniac glint in his eye. I wish I wasn't frozen in place here. I wish I could help him. But I can only watch in horror as the third man pulls the trigger, and Riff slumps to the ground, gone.

Jason's POV

Rosalia's greatest fear is drowning. That night, when I go to bed, she haunts my nightmares. It started out so happy. She was wrapped in a soft coat, and we were walking in the woods. Snow settles in her hair. She trips and falls in a lake. I laugh and bend down to help her, but something's wrong. Ice is spreading rapidly across the surface of the lake, completely transparent. Rosalia has started swimming to the surface, but ice has already covered the whole lake. I make sure it supports my weight before scrambling over to her. She's pounding wildly on the ice, trying to crack it. I think she's crying. The waer must be freezing, and she must be running out of oxygen. Her jacket is weighing her down. I grab a large rock and start pounding on the surface, trying to break her free. Please, please let the ice crack. It's useless. The ice must be half an inch thick. I can see pure terror in her eyes, and she's shivering. She aligns her fingers with mine. Her lips are blue. I wish I could crack the ice. I wish I could pull her out and fill her with warmth. But I can only watch her eyes flutter shut, and she sinks to the floor of the lake, gone.

Riff's POV

Why couldn't I save her? What did I do to deserve this? She was so young, so beautiful. I could only watch her die. I can already feel myself breaking, already see pieces of my former self flying every which way. I can see her outline on the pavement, her limbs bent, her hair spread around her. I wake, shivering, covered in a cold sweat. I bury my face in my hands and swear to myself that I will protect her as long as I live.

Bernardo's POV

Why couldn't I save him? What did I do to deserve this? He was so young, so beautiful. I could only watch him die. I can already feel myself breaking, already see pieces of my former self flying every which way. I can see his form in the alleyway, his arms limp, his face pressed to the ground. I wake, muffling a yell just in time. I run my fingers through my hair and swear to myself that I will protect him as long as I live.

Jason's POV

Why couldn't I save her? What did I do to deserve this? She was so young, so beautiful. I could only watch her die. I can already feel myself breaking, already see pieces of my former self flying every which way. I can see her shadow on the lake's floor, see her hair floating in the water. I wake, panting. I try to catch my breath and swear to myself that I will protect her as long as I live.