Epilogue

I walk these hallowed streets to see what has been done.
We are angles walking in the rubble
Of a war that was not won.

Poetry. It is always, inexplicably coming to my mind. We are angels walking the in the rubble of a war that was not won. We, the angels, are Tony, A-Rab, Baby John, Graziella, Riff and I. We are not looking down from above. We are walking alongside those left on earth, on the streets of the West Side. A-Rab and Baby John are chasing each other. Graziella is perched atop a tree, sending warmth to the cold plants. Riff is sitting on the tree next to her, watching the moon rise. Tony is laying on the grass, singing softly to himself. And I? I stand in the 'rubble', the exact spot where Tony was shot. Here it was where everything horrid became even worse. How many have these gangs killed? Six. Six innocent people who never wanted it to end this way. At least now, we are finally united. Why did it take people being killed for this to happen? I don't know. Bernardo and Velma are alone now. They will be okay, though. I'll make sure of it. I see a figure walking down the sidewalk. Riff looks up. His face lights up, and he falls out of the tree. He looks over his shoulder at us. Graziella jumps gracefully from her tree. A-Rab and Baby John hold her hands. Tony takes Baby John's hand. He turns to me, smiling, extending his hand. "Come on," he says, "Maria." I take his hand, smiling, too. We walk to Riff. I hold his hand. Graziella takes his other. We stand in a single, unbroken line. Riff stares longingly at Bernardo. Bernardo stops before continuing forward, as if he knows we're there. His eyes sweep the line, pausing on Riff and I. I swear, it like he knows that everyone who is gone is standing here together. As he passes through us, he smiles. He knows. He knows that we are united at last. He looks at the moon. "Wait for me," he says. I know he's speaking to us. "Somewhere."