Maria's Funeral

Anita's POV

How could she be dead? She was the only thing I had left. The only ray of sunshine in my world after Nardo...

I kneel besides her coffin. My querida is beautiful. They've dressed her in the dress she wore to the dance. The one I made. I've lowered the neck for her.

That dance...what if she hadn't gone? She might still be here. But Nardo wouldn't be. I knew they were having the rumble. It was the whole reason the Jets came to the dance, to challenge the Sharks. I sigh. "That rumble...you were right to wonder why they had it. The destruction it caused. Nardo gone. Riff gone. Tony, and now you." I sigh again. I wish she would respond. Wish we could have one last conversation. "I lowered the neck of the dress for you." My voice shakes. "But I didn't dye it red. I think you know now that you aren't a baby." I give a shaky laugh. "Oh, querida, what are we going to do with you?" I'm crying now. "At least you are at your somewhere with Tony. Tell Nardo hola." I gently kiss her forehead. "Te adoro, querida." I brush tears off my cheeks and walk over to sit with her mother. Her father is standing next to her coffin. "Hola, everyone. We are gathered here to celebrate the life of nuesta hija, Maria." I stop listening. I'm in a daze until I hear him say my name. "We would now like to hear from Maria's closest friend, Anita." I stand and walk to stand next to Maria.

"Maria was such an amazing girl in so many ways. She was beautiful, and thoughtful, and kind. She died not because she did not like living, but because there was someone else she loved even more than life itself. Maria cared so much about this man that she gave herself up." I inhale sharply, and my voice cracks. "And I think that's beautiful." It's too much now. I sniff and walk over to sit down again. Her mother pats me on the shoulder, crying. I stop listening. I have nothing else to care about. When the service is over and Maria is buried, her parents approach me. "Anita, you spoke beautifully. We want to to thank you for everything you've done." I nod. "But of course." Maria's mother takes her husband's hand. "We've decided to move back to Puerto Rico. Nothing good has happened for us. We lost both of our children, our store was robbed...it's best if we just leave America. Maria will stay here with Nardo." I nod. Tears burn my eyes. "I will stay and run the bridal shop for you." Her mother nods and strokes my hand. "Thank you again querida." They turn and leave. I rub my eyes, smearing my makeup. I take one last glance over my shoulder and start walking home. Oh, Nardo, I think, where are you?