Riff Finds Out

Riff's POV

The day started out fine. It was kind of cloudy, but mostly sunny. I had leftover eggs for breakfast. I woke up before Bernardo, who slept in. The mail arrived before he woke up. I walked over calmer than I had the morning before. My emotions collide into a knot in my stomach when I see that the letter on top is from Doc. I snatch it up and tear it open.

Dear Riff and Bernardo,

To say that all is going well would be a lie. However, I will start with the good news. I've hired an employee named Jason, allowing me to keep the shop open. He has found love in Rosalia. Anita is doing okay. So is Velma.

And now, unfortunately, for the bad news. Diesel has become addicted to drugs. Aside from the obvious drawbacks, there is a major problem.

He's been having periodic times when everything is wrong for him. During these times, he hurts Velma and Graziella. Graziella has been seriously affected by this. She's come into my shop at least three times for medicines.

But there's one more thing. Riff, I don't know how to tell you this. He's been seriously sexually harassing and abusing Graziella. It's been happening a lot, but it was never as bad as last night. Riff...if Jason and Rosalia hadn't stopped Diesel, he would have raped her. I'm so sorry.

She's okay now. She spent the night at the store and is slowly recovering. She refuses to let me call the police though...she says that he is all Velma has left besides her. If this happens again or it gets worse, though, she doesn't have a choice.

Best wishes, Doc

Everything inside of me breaks. I collapse into a chair. Phrases on the paper leap out at me. Addicted to drugs...hurts Graziella and Velma...sexually harassing...abusing...raped her...slowly recovering...

What have I done?

In pretending to die, I have caused a whole chain of effects, ending in Grazielle being almost raped by a man I had thought to be someone I could trust. Weakly, I collapse into a chair. I feel emotions colliding inside of me again. Fear, anger, sadness, pity. Anger wins out at first. I crumple the letter into a ball and fling it across the room. I leap out of my chair and shove it backwards, kicking the wall. I let out a small, frustrated yell. Sadness overtakes me and I drop into the chair again, my head in my hands. I can't stop myself from crying. I pull my head up and yell, releasing everything. My voice cracks and I punch the wall in anger. Tears stream down my face in rivers. Bernardo rushes in. "What's wrong?!" I point to the letter on the ground, unable to fathom words. Bernardo walks over and scoops it up. He rubs my back as he flattens it out and reads it. I watch his face darken. "Oh, my God," he says. I wrap my arms around my stomach, clutching at my sides and let myself break down. I sob and rock back and forth in the chair. Bernardo crouches mext to me and strokes my hair. He takes my face in his hands. "I promise you, everything is going to be okay in the end. No matter what. Because I love you. Do you love me?" I nod. He pulled his face to mine, about to kiss me. "But Nardo...what if it's not okay? What if he really hurts her or really does rape her?" Bernardo bites his lip. "I don't know. We can only hope that everything will be okay." I stand up abruptly, slightly annoyed. "Yes, but what if that's not enough? Grazy's being sexually harassed and abused by a man I once trusted with my life." Bernardo eases me back into the chair. "Riff, you need to calm down." He seems to be getting annoyed, too. I have the sense to relax a little. "Graziella is safe now, she has Doc, Rosalia, Velma and this Jason protecting her. If Diesel tries anything again, they're calling the police. She is going to be okay." I sigh and drop my head into my hands. Bernardo kisses me gently on the top of the head. "I'm going back to bed. You relax." He leaves the kitchen without another word. I sit up and tap my foot. I'm just sitting here. I need to do something. I need to do something now. I jump out of my seat and rush over to the drawers. I pull out a pen and a piece of paper. I hold the pen cap in my teeth and scrawl a reply to Doc.

Doc,

Graziella needs to stay safe. Make sure she is never in danger. Keep Diesel far, far away from her. Her health and safety are of the utmost importance. Make sure she recieves and takes her AZT. Take care of Vel, too. Thanks again for everything. -Riff

I fold the letter up and slip it into an envelope. I sigh. Graziella is so important to me. She's one of my best friends ever. I've trusted her with almost my whole life. I close my eyes. I try to connect myself to Graziella. "Please," I whisper, "please, please, please...stay safe." I puff air out of my cheeks. When I open my eyes, I'm not in the apartment. I'm outside a small movie theater, the location of my first kiss with Graziella. We had just seen "Sleeping Beauty". Graziella was wearing a short blue dress and a white cardigan. I was wearing a plaid button shirt with short sleeves and dress pants. We had gone outside after the movie and talked for a while. I don't even remember how it happened. I guess she was just talking, and stupid fourteen-year-old me thought she looked hot, so I leaned in and kissed her. She seem surprised, but kissed me back after a moment. I remember being ecstatic because not only had I just had my first kiss, I had had it with the girl I liked. When I blink, the door of the apartment fades back into sight. I sigh heavily, address the letter and grab a jacket. I'll take a walk to deliver it. The cool-ish fall air chills me, relaxing me. Before I drop the letter in the box, I close my eyes. "Please, Grazy," I say, before dropping it in and running back to the apartment.