On Judging and Judgment

Taken from Tumblr. Contrary to some people's beliefs, there really are some good blogs out there.

For Everyone.

Everyone, given their perception on reality, makes accurate judgements. The fault is in perception, the underlying assumptions, and what went into forming though, and not judgements. The “logical fallacies” are based on such. They are not mechanical faults that say 1+1=3, but realistically, subjective faults in perceiving authority figures as being superior, etc, etc; there is a level of intrinsic logic to fallacies and that’s exactly why people commit them. If you get annoyed with someone, then it’s their perception of the world that’s bothering you, not their inability to make judgements. To attack someone’s judgements is virtually meaningless, as you’re only attacking the latest wave of beliefs and not the system of thought that creates such. In attacking judgements, no matter what they are, you’re picking an arbitrary point in the road of life, and saying “they must have forked off from exactly here,” and rarely are minds ever so simple.

In a separate post:

It tires me when I check out the blogs of people who like or reblog the post I made called “For Everyone”, and see it alongside political agendas.

It was not a point for cultural marxism, and an inherent equality of opinions, but rather an unphrased acknowledgement that the truth is larger than any one individual, and to come to terms with the reality of the insignificance of the opinion any one individual necessarily holds.

The point of it was not to make you feel more secure in your own beliefs, but to consider other’s beliefs as equally valid as your own. If there is a counter-argument to your perspective, then you must be able to transcend your own views and adopt the other person’s to understand why they make that argument.

I loathe blind terminology and rhetoric that predispose people to discarding views because it is a self-fulfilling prophesy on a level many people are unaware.

It is the simple fact that you should not have to feel a need for security, and co-opt and interpret the views of others as being “for your own cause,” because you can never feel attacked if you understand the reasoning behind someone else’s perspective.

If you can understand someone else’s perspective, then their actions are reasonable. You cannot be militant, only considerate. You cannot be argumentative, only considerate.I should not have been surprised that the message of that post was co-opted, but I hoped to voice myself and my values, and the little idealist in me hoped that people would listen.

It’s a call to transcend impulse, to avoiding committing fallacies but to sympathise with those that do, and understand why they are done.

Injustices are the easiest things to feel, and so I can’t feel comforted by the people who genuinely, positively reflected on my message, only upset at those who distort it.

I don’t want you to accept my ideals, only to consider everyone’s.