TICK TOCK

TICK TOCK

24

Matt rubs at the tender wound on his hand. It throbs under the pressure as he picks at the scab that has formed over the small cut. It is no more than a centimeter in length, yet he knows that the small incision is to be his undoing. The blade had rubbed in the soft fold between his thumb and finger in his haste. Somewhere in that back alley is a drop of his DNA. He knows he was in the system - a requirement of his profession. It would just be a matter of days before he would see his name plastered all over the news. There would be no place to hide.

He has to count on the lab being backed up, it usually is. This will no doubt receive priority. What would that give him? A week, possibly two? Not nearly enough time.

The thorough debate of consistency spins in his mind as he ponders the outcomes. In the most generous of estimations he has until mid-October before his wrists would feel the pinch of metal and he would most certainly spend the rest of his days behind bars.

Of course they thought they were dealing with someone unhinged so a thorough mental examination would take place. Perhaps he would spend the rest of his years in a comatose state, staring at the glue seeping out of the edges of a poorly wallpapered wall.

Grabbing a bottle of antacid, he pushes the burning sensation matching his finger, back down into his stomach.

The 'what ifs' whirling in his mind would have to wait, all of it is inconsequential until he finds "the next".

It is time to focus his attention to finding Mary.

A/N: Sorry for the brief section, I just wanted to show a little insight into what our killer is thinking. If you are enjoying this story please remember to vote, comment and share. Thank you.