Chapter 1

The first thing I notice when I wake up is how cold it is. Even with my fur completely covering me, a shiver travels down my spin. I yawn loudly and stretch out my front legs. I seriously hate winter.

Blue isn't beside me so I assume he's out in front of the cave digging in the snow or just sniffing around like I use to do at his age. I stand up and shake the dirt out of my coat before reluctantly venturing out of the tiny fox hole we managed to find a couple days back.

I can smell the near by pack as soon as we entered this part of the forest but I knew they wouldn't bother us. Packs are weary of rogues but only when they have formed a makeshift pack of sorts. Two lonely travelling rogues aren't their main concern.

The fox hole was to go to good to give up so I decided we would camped out here for a few days, only a mile or two from the packs borders. There's surprisingly good game here for the winter.

Looking around the snow filled forest, I catch no sight of my younger brother. It's not normal for him to travel far from where we staying after he witnessed first hand how brutal the world really is.

I quickly put my head down and sniff, barely catching his scent on the icy floor. I decide to follow the trail, feeling nervous.

Blue, who is now 10 years old, is slowly becoming more and more like our mother. He is constantly out looking for food or little gifts to bring back to me. In a way, he is trying to look after me instead of just letting me look after him as the oldest and the alpha.

However, even with this new development of his, he still stays near the den. I can barely even smell him at this point which means he ventured far and early this morning.

I tell myself to keep calm and start making my way through the dense forest, smelling and following his light trail.

Having to raise a pup on my own for the past two years has been difficult. Blue has understandably grown skittish and shy after what happened to mother. On the rare times I transform into my human form just to stretch my legs or enter a neighborhood, Blue refuses to join me. It hurts to know my baby brother is forever scarred because of that monster. Often I'm woken up from small kicking feet and weak whimpers coming from the tan wolf lying beside me and I wouldn't know what to do other than drag myself closer to him. 

As he got older, he demanded more food and needed more exercise to drain him of his energy. While it was fun to ran through the forest with him and teach him all our mother taught me, he was a handful to keep track of. 

Like now. 

I growl softly in agitation when I realize I am getting closer and closer to the near by packs border. What was this kid thinking? 

After a few minutes, I find myself standing right on the edge. The smell of the pack is strong and so is Blues scent. He must of gone over the border. I look around, my ears standing up in alert for any sounds that could lead to danger. I know I need to enter in order to fetch my mischievous baby brother but I don't want to start drama with this pack. I know nothing about them, how hostile they are to strangers and if they will even listen to my explanation of what I'm doing here. 

Reluctantly, I place one paw into the territory. The cool soil felt the same as the rest of the forest but still a shiver through me. I've never stepped foot in a packs territory knowingly and I don't know what to expect. I'm going to kill this kid once we back on safe ground. 

I continue following the trail, though a lot slower and more cautious. I can tell I'm gaining on Blue since his scent is so strong. In another minute or so I should be able to see him. 

Hearing snaps I pick up pace and trot quietly towards the sound. Around a tree I finally spot him. Blue is munching on a stick with black berries hanging off it. His darker fur around his mouth is tainted with red juice and his fur has pieces of twigs stuck in between. I snarl to grab his attention. He whips around to see me and instantly starts whimpering. He drops the berries and crouches down so his belly was on the floor to show submission. I raise my tail and bare my teeth to let him know how pissed off I am. 

I shake my head at him and indicate to him to follow me. We need to get out of here as soon as possible. Not just out the pack but out the whole area. They will surely catch our scents out here and assume we are a threat. It is best just to move on. 

My planning seems to be for nothing though because as soon as I turn around, I spot a dark brown wolf glaring at me from a few steps away. Focused on my brother, I didn't hear its footsteps over his whimpering and because I'm already surrounded by the packs smell, his scent didn't catch my attention. 

What do I do now?