Chapter 2

When I was around 7 years old, mother and I encountered a wolf pack. I'm still not sure to this day how mother didn't realize we were crossing a border but before my little brain could sense something was wrong, my baby fat on the back of my neck was snatched into powerful jaws and roughly lifted from the forest floor.

I squealed loudly and tried thrashing because I knew that it was not my mother's gentle jaws I was in but a strangers.

I don't remember much from that day other than how terrified I was and the hostile atmosphere surrounding the group of wolves who found us.

However, that same hostile feeling isn't reaching me standing in front of this brown wolf. Whether it's because I'm older or something else, I'm not sure. The wolf is only slightly taller than me though I'm noticeably broader.

The wolf's eyes stay on me for a few short seconds before he throws his head back and howls. I growl threatening and try going around him. I know he just called the rest of his pack or patrol and once they reach us, I won't stand a chance. I don't get far though as he blocks me and releases a deep growl of his own, sharp teeth bared in a clear warning.

Before I can turn the other way, two new wolves appear from the bush, both with their fur standing on end and teeth glaring at me. I feel Blue squeeze between my legs in fear. One of these two wolves is another alpha while the other is a beta. The beta has a beautiful white coat and is smaller than the alpha female who is a dark grey with rare blue eyes. Both are equally fierce though.

The brown wolf clearly feels comfortable with the two wolves now backing him up as he transforms into a tall naked man with bleached blonde hair.

"I don't assume you here to cause trouble?" His voice is smooth and calm.

I glare stubbornly back at him in silence for a bit before shaking my head and looking down at my baby brother who is still cowering between my legs in a clear sign that I mean no harm.

The man also looks down at Blue and smiles in a fond sort of way. "We've been aware of your presence near our border for the past few days, though we never actually expected to see you in our territory. I thought you would of been smarter, being only a two wolf pack." He smirked.

I huff in annoyance. If it were up to me, I wouldn't be here.

"I must say you two look hungry." He continues. "Especially the little one since only a really desperate wolf would risk entering another wolf's territory for some plain old berries."

I don't think that's why Blue ventured here since we've gone days without eating and our last meal was yesterday afternoon, surely he wasn't that desperate so soon.

It's then that three other wolves join us, making me even more nervous and protective over Blue. I would never admit it out loud but I'm scared. The forest around me is completely unfamiliar, dark and intimidating. The young pup cowering underneath me will never be able to keep up if I try making a run for it and there's no telling how fast these wolves are. My next option is to fight my way out, but against 6 other wolves? There's no way I would come out alive, much less Blue. These wolves are big, healthy and knowledgeable about the area, they have all the odds on their side. 

"This would be easier if you could answer me." The man in front of me says, clearly implying that he would like me to transform. I pointedly glance at the rotating wolves around us. "They mean no harm. If they wanted to attack you, they would of done it by now." 

There is no other option, I have to talk my way out of this and so I to turn to my human form. Blue backs slightly away from me now that he can't fit under me yet he still presses against the back of my bare legs. 

Now that the blonde man and me are on the same level, I notice we are about the same size but he is noticeably a little older than me. My black hair is hanging in my eyes in a mess and I can feel all my muscles in my body flexing, ready to fight if needed. 

"How old are you and the pup? Is he your brother?" He asks. 

"I'm 19. My little brother is only 10. He didn't mean to trespass and I only entered your territory to retrieve him. I apologize and I hope you will allow us to just continue on our way. We didn't mean to cause trouble." I try reasoning. 

"I know you mean no trouble. No sane wolf would try on a pack alone." He glances down at Blue once again. "Having a pup to take care of must be difficult out there." We make eye contact as I shrug. 

Yes, it is hard but it's all I know. Mom taught me everything I need to know and I think I've been doing a pretty good job of raising Blue. Sure, he isn't as fat as other pup his age and his fur is a little matted. He isn't very social either but what else could you expect from a rogue born wolf. I'm not very social myself. But when you look past all that, Blue is happy and alive. What else matters? 

"I make it work." I state shortly. 

"You know, majority of our pack use to be rogues." He smiles. 

I perk up at that. 

"Some have been banished from their packs, some ran away. Some were even born rogues. But we all together now. We protect each other, feed each other, help each other grow." He seems to point the last statement at Blue. "You could have that to." 

"Join your pack?" I scoff. 

"It would benefit the both of us. We'd gain another Alpha and another pup. You'd gain a stable environment. Like I said, we've taken in many rogues so we know how to help you. The world without a pack is dangerous and unforgiving, not a place for a young wolf to grow up in." 

"I survived just fine." I sneer. I know he is using Blue to pull on my heart strings. 

"I'm sure he would much prefer a warm bed to sleep in, a full belly every night and other pups to play with. At the moment we have 3 other pups. You will feel welcomed as well. We can work together." He tries to persuade. 

His offer does sound tempting. I will never have to worry about Blue being hungry again or being attacked. No more dirt floors or moving every week. Having the company of other wolves and being able to feel comfortable in my human form. Blue also needed that extra interaction with pups his age. It was all appealing. But what if he is lying. What if they just lured wolves into their territory to do I don't know what to. Not to mention, the open world is all I know. I grew up constantly exploring and being free. Could I ever be happy confined to one small territory? 

"I would like to leave please." 

The man looks down to the floor and shrugs. "It's your choice. I just can't promise that my pack won't chase you for trespassing. Let's hope you can reach the border in time." He steps to the side. 

I look at the surrounding wolves who up until this point were watching silently. Now they are growling and baring their teeth all over again. I angrily glare at the man. "Are you threatening me?" My voice comes out in a growl. 

"No. I'm just asking that you give us a chance." 

We stand in silence as I think through everything, confused and angry. "Fine. One chance." 

The man grins. "Perfect."