9

She's Awake!!!

After about two hours of back and forth planning. It was already past midnight. Everyone had left to get some rest. Only Mateo and his Dad stayed seated in his office. Each one in deep thought over the previous day's proceedings.

Standing up, Leo looked over to his son, "I think it's best you get some rest. You need to be alert in the coming hours or days."

"I can't go to sleep. I'm waiting for Mamma to update me." Mateo stubbornly stated.

"Son, you are not going to be helpful to anyone, if you are walking around half asleep." Leo commented, "I'll be joining your mother. We'll stay by Serena's side and I promise you'll be the first to know if she awakens."

Wanting to protest, his words stuck in his throat, when he gazed at his father, the determined glint in his father's eyes let him know this is one battle he wouldn't win and if his mother got word of his stubbornness, he would never live it down. His mother is the only other woman who could bring him down on his knees with a look, besides his mate.

Sulking, he left his office, with his father following him, making him feel like a child, who has been banned to his room for being naughty.

Reaching his bedroom, Mateo entered, turning towards his father, who stood at the doorway. Mateo stood tall, crossing his arms, looking at his father defiantly.

Leo chuckled, seeing the defiance in his son's stance, "Get some rest. Otherwise I'll either knock you out or send your mother up." Closing the door on his parting warning. He made his way to Octavia, to see how his mate is doing and inform her of the plan to catch the traitor amongst them.

Mateo sighed in irritation after his father left. Turning he made his way to his ensuite, a shower sounds good about now. Discarding his clothes, he stepped in to his shower. Adjusting the temperature and pressure. His body relaxing, as his muscles were soothed under the water. The past few hours of grime and sweat running down into the drain.

Reminded by his father's warning, he shut off the water, stepped out of the shower, dried himself, throwing the towel into a basket, he made his way to his dressing room, slipping on boxers. Normally he slept naked, but if he is woken up by either his parents, he didn't need the embarrassment of them seeing him in the buff. Shuddering at that thought, he made his way to his king size bed, lying face down...

Feeling a presence in his room, he instantly became alert, tackling the intruder before they could attack. Pouncing on them with speed, keeping the intruder in a headlock down on the floor.

"Who are you?" He demanded, tightening his grip.

The hand of the intruder tugged at his arms, trying to pry Mateo off him... chocking out, "Son...!" Struggling too say more.

"Pappa...?" Adjusting his grip slightly, he moved back a little bit, looking at the form beneath him. Realizing it was his father beneath him, letting go quickly, he got up.

Leo was breathing heavily, taking in large gulps of air. Taking a few moments to compose himself. Turning over onto his back, he looked up at his son, "I see your training kicked in..." He grinned at Mateo.

"What the hell!" Mateo growled, "I almost killed you!"

"I don't think it would have gotten that far." Leo responded, extending his hand towards Mateo.

Mateo took his father's hand, helping him up, "What are you doing here? What time is it?"

"It's just after four and as for me being here. I promised you I would tell you if there was a change in her condition." Leo replied.

"And...?"

"Get dressed, we've wasted time playing around..." Leo ordered, moving towards the door, leaving Mateo to rush.

Mateo grabbed a pair of sweatpants, rushing after his father, angry that his father didn't elaborate, following him to the private wings of the hospital ward, trepidation at each step he took, his mind in turmoil. Why wasn't his father saying anything? Was the news bad? Mateo thought, seeing his parents guardians stationed at the entrance to Serena's room as they approached.

Nodding at the men at the door, his father opened the door, ushering him in, closing the door behind him. Mateo's eye's adjusted to the dim lighting, seeing his mother seated in a corner of the room, lifted her finger to her lips, indicating to them to be quiet. Mateo walked towards the bed, his gaze focused on the still form of Serena, the monitors switched off, he turned back towards his mother, his heart beating at a fast pace, dreading seeing her reaction...scared to hope. Go to her! His mother mouthed, getting up from her seat, gently patting him on his cheek as she passed him, leaving the room with his father, closing the door behind them, leaving him and Serena alone.

Mateo closed his eyes briefly, taking a deep breath, he turned, approaching the bed slowly. Sitting on the edge, taking her hands into his, gripping them lightly, "Serena...?" He spoke gruffly, gazing at her face, "Please open your eyes, Meu Amore."

Elation coursing through him, when her eyes opened. Her blue eyed gaze locking onto his.

"Mateo...?"