Chap- 17

Seventeen

Memorable Mackinac

We flew into Pellston City, Michigan and took a taxi to the lodge where we had reservations for the night. The hotel was just minutes away from Mackinac City where we would then take the ferry over to Mackinac Island. To say Katia was excited was an understatement, but her loosely-contained giddiness brought me joy. Our room at the lodge was nice and cozy with a jetted tub directly across from the king-size bed, which was probably perfect for people staying there for an extended period.

Kissing my lips lightly, Katia went into the bathroom with her overnight bag, closing the door behind her, and I took a deep breath and slowly undressed. Turning the bed covers back, I sat down and pondered this night. I would be her first and only, and she would be my last. I wanted to make it perfect for her, but it had been a long time since I was intimate with a woman and I was nervous. Waiting for my new bride, I felt like a teenager inside, but mentally, I had been seasoned by the years, and my mature emotions would hopefully serve me well.

Katia exited the bathroom, wearing a gown she'd purchased for tonight. She looked so lovely as she approached me, her gaze a mixture of innocence and sensuality in the lamp light. My hands were shaking as I drew her to me, but as soon as she wrapped her arms around me and pressed her soft body against mine, heat slowly flowed through my insides and the nervousness faded. The passion of our kiss increased, the taste of one another stoking the fire burning between us, each touch creating a mutual hunger and thirst that were only assuaged when we finally became one.

* * *

"I never knew it would be like that," Katia said, resting her head against my chest, looking up at me with a loving smile. "I've dreamed about it almost every day since putting your engagement ring on my finger, but . . . I never realized."

I caressed her face and kissed her, whispering against her lips, "It was never like this for me before."

She drew back a little, looking into my eyes. "Never?"

I shook my head, smiling at the wonder in her gaze. "Never."

Her lips curved in a trembling smile. "I'm so grateful to have experienced it, with you."

Her soft words pierced my heart, because I understood. The day would soon come when this part of our marriage would no longer be possible. But my love for her was so great and so deep, I could deal with the absence of sexual intimacy. I knew there would be times that I'd miss it, but I could handle it. Just being with her would be enough. I rubbed her back, caressing. "I am grateful as well. We must savor the experience while we can." Smiling, I kissed her again, whispering, "I plan to take advantage of every opportunity to make love to you."

She grinned adorably. "You took the words right out of my mouth, Mr. De Luca. So how about you take advantage of another opportunity now?"

"Mrs. De Luca," I murmured, rising over her, "you don't have to ask me twice."

* * *

The next morning, we had breakfast and checked out, anxious to be on our way. We took a taxi to the dock and boarded the ferry with our luggage.

Settling in our seats, we took a few selfie shots with my camera. I kept my arm around her and relished the wind on my face as we sailed to Mackinac Island. Katia excitedly tapped my shoulder and pointed to the Round Island Lighthouse, which was used for a scene in the movie.

The Grand Hotel soon stood before us in the distance like a beacon. Photos and movie shots were one thing, but actually seeing the grand building was something else entirely. Well over a century old, the hotel was a historical treasure. It was stunning.