Chap - 19

Nineteen

Life Imitating Art

On our last morning in Mackinac, the pain began to worsen. We had just awakened when Katia sat up as it hit her harder than normal. She released a low groan and took a few deep breaths.

I kissed her brow. "Sweetheart, the Tylenol and ibuprofen are not going to work anymore."

She looked at me sadly. "I know." I wiped her tears away, trying hard to keep my emotions at bay. "Will you get me my meds?"

Kissing her cheek, I went to the bathroom and grabbed the large zippered pouch she kept her medicine and supplements in, grateful we had gotten the prescriptions filled. She normally took a vitamin along with large doses of ginger, ginko, vitamin C, a few cups of oolong tea, and over-the-counter pain relievers when there was pain. Now, in place of the over-the-counter medicine, she would take morphine, a low dose antidepressant, and another medication to control the nausea. She had put it off for as long as she could. Now she would have no choice. The doctor had been amazed that she'd stayed healthy for as long as she had. He attributed it to regular exercise and a good diet. I just constantly thanked God that Katia and I realized our love for each other before it was too late.

Filling a glass with water, I poured the recommended dosages from each bottle into my hand, then added her regular amount of supplements and took it in to her. Dumping all the pills into her hand, she took them all at once. As I watched her, I briefly wondered how long it would be before she could no longer do that. I quickly pushed the thought away. She lay her head against my shoulder and I held her as close as I could without hurting her. The last thing I wanted to do was cause her additional pain.

I reached for the bakery box on the nightstand and gave her the last sweet roll to eat since she was supposed to take the medicines with food.

She took a small bite, then another and chewed slowly. "I'm sorry, amore," she said, touching my face. "As soon as the meds kick in I'll shower and dress and we can go."

"You have nothing to be sorry for. We can do whatever you want. I just don't want you to overdo it, all right?"

"I won't, but I don't want to spend our final day stuck in the room. Even if we just go out for a little while, I'll be happy."

"Just promise me you will let me know when you need to come back."

"I promise."

At that moment, everything inside me ached just thinking of her suffering, and I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry. But I needed to be strong for her. She wanted to enjoy our final day in Mackinac and that was what we would do. When she drew back a little and looked up at me, I smiled and kissed her lips. She gave me a brave smile in return.

"I think I can go and shower now."

"Okay, and while you are showering I'll order up some breakfast. Hopefully it will be here by the time you're done."

"Okay." She stood and leaned down to kiss me. "Ti amo, Angelo," she whispered against my lips.

"I love you, too, dolcezza."

I quickly ordered our breakfast and pulled on yesterday's pair of jeans. Then I knelt and prayed, thanking God for Katia, and tearfully pleaded for many more months with her. I stayed on my knees until room service knocked.

When Katia came from the bathroom, I had everything ready and we sat down at the table to eat. She looked at me a long moment, not missing the fact that I'd been crying. I smiled and she smiled back, tears brimming her tired eyes. The medication was affecting her already and I worried about going out. She suggested that we go sit out on the porch for a while and people-watch. I grinned, glimpsing the small spark in her eyes. She was being so brave. My brave Katia.

* * *

We did sit out on the porch and people-watch for a while. The row of white rockers sat pristine in the morning sun. There were a few empty ones between us and a small group of guests. The view of the sea from where we sat was incredible. We held hands and silently enjoyed the soft sounds around us. Then Katia suggested that we get up before she fell asleep.

We browsed the gift shop once more. I purchase a Grand Hotel music box for Katia, loving the way her eyes lit up as she gazed at it. It was a replica of the one Elise owned in the movie, and when you opened the lid, it played the beautiful Rachmaninoff theme from the movie. Katia in turn bought me a replica of the pocket watch Elise gave to Richard. On the face was a picture of the two lead characters.

"Thank you for this," she said, kissing me and hugging the package containing the music box. "Thank you for an amazing honeymoon." She smiled, her eyes full of love. "I feel like Elise and you're my Richard."

Oh, love, if I could only go back in time to save you . . . "Thank you for the watch, and for marrying me." I pressed a hand to her cheek. "And I doubt Richard could love Elise any more than I love you." She wrapped an arm around my waist and I held her to me, wishing I could find the words to tell her exactly what she meant to me.

We went back to our room and Katia lay down to rest for a while. I curled my body around hers and napped with her. When we awakened later, we ordered dinner in and began to pack. By the time our meal arrived, Katia needed to take more pain medication. After we ate, we changed and got into bed, leaving the rest of the packing until the morning. I held her for a while and we talked.

Glancing down at her arm, I lightly ran my fingers across the scarred tissue from the burn she'd gotten as a child.

"I probably should have had something done to it," she said, raising her eyes to mine.

"I'm glad you didn't." Raising her arm to my lips, I kissed the scar. "It is a part of you and I wouldn't want you to change it."

She smiled. "I can still remember the day a little. I vaguely remember getting the burn, but I do clearly remember trying to wake my mother up. Then you were there . . . and you made everything better."

I tightened my embrace, allowing myself to fully remember that day. Suzanne and I had been arguing. Again. I still wanted children, she didn't. But I soon came to realize it was for the best.

Katia's eyes turned misty, and I knew she had guessed where my thoughts traveled. "I'm so sorry that I can't get you a child, Angelo –"

"Don't be sorry," I said, brushing my lips over her temple. "You are enough."

"But when I'm gone –"

"I will have my memories of you. And I will look forward to the day when we can be together again."

"We will be together again."

Swallowing against the lump in my throat, I softly said, "We will."