Chapter 6: Just a Coincidence

Ashley kept her head down as she walked, trying her best to hide her scar from the ever watchful eyes of the wizards and witches around her. She was by her herself now, Hagrid nowhere to be seen as she headed for Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions. Her lone journeying was due to the fact that right after their trip to Gringotts, she decided that she wanted to explore by herself for a bit. Hagrid had been understandably hesitant but after a little convincing, which included her reminding him about her magical capabilities, he eventually gave in. She was given enough money for her robes and wand, seeing as her attendance was essential for their purchase, before she was sent on her way while the half-giant shopped for her other things.

"Ms. Potter, how very nice it is to see you!"

Entering the purple shop, she was immediately ushered by Madam Malkin herself to stand on top of a stool. Ashley was facing a floor-length mirror, turned away from who she assumed was another first year Hogwarts student trying on a robe. At the sound of her name, she felt the student's stare directed at her. She pointedly ignored it until she heard the witch quietly call out.

"Ashley!"

The familiar voice caused Ashley's head snap towards the speaker.

"Mitch?"

There stood Mitchelle in the same predicament as her, wearing a robe two sizes too big and surrounded by floating scissors and a measuring tape. A smile broke out on each of the girls' faces, depicting how ecstatic they were to see one another again. Sadly, they couldn't embrace like they so wanted to. Ashley was now wearing the robe Madam Malkin gave her, a robe too large for her small frame, like Mitchelle was, and was being measured. And so, they simply decided to reach out and happily interlock their hands.

"I can't believe you're here! I can't believe we're here!"

Ashley knew Mitchelle was referring to the fact that they were in the magical world of Harry Potter, Ashley Potter now in their case. Ashley found it hard to believe either. She sometimes thought it all to be just a dream. She'd wake up one morning, expecting to see the walls of her room in the apartment she'd been living in for months but that (thankfully) never happened. She always woke up in the cupboard; hungry, tired, thirsty, but not at all miserable. After all, she knew her life would drastically improve, and how it did.

"I can't believe it either! Our wish actually came true!"

"I know! I have so much to tell you!"

"I do too but I don't think we have much time. I still have to go to Ollivanders after this. You're here with your parents, right?"

"Damn it, I got my wand first thing, and yeah, they're over there."

Mitchelle nodded her head towards a corner of the shop where a nervous and awed couple stood, holding a bunch of packages. The light-haired man, her father, had an arm around the brunette woman, her mother. Their nerves were understandable. They were Muggles, who had no previous knowledge about the existence of magic and had just found out that their daughter was a witch. They were proud, that was for sure, but they surely needed time to adjust. Now that Ashley had a good look at them, she finally noticed the changes brought upon her friend, just as Mitchelle noticed her changes.

Mitchelle had lost the dark color of her black hair, replaced by the same light shade of brown her father had. It also gained much volume, her hair now a mass of curled locks like Hermione's was. Her skin was a healthy pale, unlike Ashley's, seeing as she hadn't been starved like the Potter Heiress was, and her eyes a deep caramel brown. Mitchelle's facial features had changed to resemble those of her parents but not enough to look like a completely different person. And even in this life, she had still managed to be taller than Ashley.