Chapter 9: Purple Eyes

The resounding thud of something hitting the floor jostled Ashley out of her slumbering state. She had always been a light sleeper, especially so if she wasn't that tired to begin with. She drowsily opened her eyes, blinking up at the ceiling, and turned to the direction where she heard the noise, grabbing her glasses from the nightstand in the process. Sitting up, a giggle left her as she took in the sight of her dorm mate, the unnamed brunette, sprawled on the floor in-between their beds, covered with duvet she had dragged down with her. Ashley really should have paid more attention to the sorting. How the hell is she still asleep?, she wondered. It must have hurt, falling off the bed like she did, but the girl was still dozing, quiet snores escaping her still form.

Ashley shook her head, amused, and searched for her wand. She found it under her pillow and retrieved it, careful not to wake her familiar who was resting on top of the pillow. Casting a quick Tempus, she realized that it was quite early to be awake. It was only 6:30 AM, exactly an hour before breakfast at the great hall began. Knowing there was no way she'd be able to go back to sleep, Ashley trudged to the bathroom to shower and change into her school robes. Safe to say, she took her sweet time taking a shower since she hadn't had that kind of luxury when she was living with the Dursleys. When she was all done and dressed, her dorm mates were all still knocked out but Moko had already woken up.

"Good morning, little one." He greeted with his voice still bleary with sleep.

"Good morning, Moko." Ashley replied, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"What's on the agenda for today?"

"Hm... Nothing planned, for now. I don't even have my schedule yet."

"What about your godfather? How are you planning on getting him released from Azkaban?"

"If I have any hope of doing that, I need someone who has connections with the Ministry. Luckily, I do already know someone."

Ashley stood up and approached the trunk at the foot of her bed, kneeling down on the floor. Pushing the lid open, she found her various belongings inside, arranged neatly to appease her. She grabbed the necessary items to construct a letter and shut the trunk, placing parchment paper on top of the lid. Dipping the end of her quill in ink, she proceeded to write. Moko slithered over, still perched on top of the bed as he watched her with curious eyes. Despite her being unused to writing with a quill, she finished the letter within a few minutes. Satisfied with her work, she raised the parchment to let Moko read it.

Head Goblin Griphook,

If it is possible, I must ask for a favor. It pertains to the current incarcerated state of my godfather. I want to reopen his case. He should not have been sent to Azkaban, he wasn't even given a proper trial. I have physical evidence proving his innocence regarding his supposed betrayal and murders. If there is any way you can help me, please write back immediately.

Ashley Potter

Moko hissed his approval at her idea to write to the Gringotts Head Goblin. If there was anyone that had the power to help his little one with her plans, it would be Griphook. Ashley smiled and folded the parchment into a small square to make it easier for her owl to carry. She then headed over to the owl cage beside her bed and unlatched it. She let her owl out, giving her a treat in the process, and handed the envelope over. The snowy owl, after being informed of whom the letter was meant for, hooted and gracefully flew out the open window. Ashley watched her for a moment before turning towards her familiar. She wasn't going to wait for her owl to come back. Hedwig would know to go directly to the owlery with the rest of the messenger owls.