Chapter 16: See You Soon

Ministry of Magic, Whitehall, London

"What the bloody hell do you mean we're not allowed to see her?!"

Remus, fighting the urge to let Moony out, had to hold Sirius back from attacking Dumbledore. The same day Sirius was released from St. Mungo's, he and Remus immediately headed to the Ministry to gain custody for their Bambi. They were asked to wait in the DMLE Head's office while the Dursleys were summoned. However, the Dursleys, for whatever reason, couldn't attend the meeting so Dumbledore came to represent them as Ashley's magical guardian, which was ridiculous all in itself. If the Dursleys really did care for Bambi and wanted to continue caring for her, why couldn't they be bothered to attend? They had to set their priorities straight. Remus and Sirius had already done that, and their first priority was to bring Ashley back into their lives. How they hated that the wizard they used to look up to stood in the way of that.

Dumbledore had been quick to deny them custody, insisting that she would be happier and, not to mention, safer in the hands of her mother's relatives. Sirius and Remus were not happy with this, and so they fought for their right over her. Amelia considered this and filed their custody claim but Dumbledore once again acted as an obstacle. During the duration of waiting for the custody to settle, Dumbledore forbade Sirius and Remus from seeing Ashley. Unbeknownst to them, the old bastard had done it in fear of them being able to convince her to come with them, despite the compulsions charms surrounding them, the charms they were seemingly breaking free from or had already broken free from.

"She's my goddaughter, damn it!" Sirius cursed, glaring fiercely at Dumbledore.

"I understand that you're upset, Sirius, but please do calm down." Amelia said in an attempt to appease the raging man.

"Calm down?! You expect me to calm down when we're being banned from seeing our Bambi?!"

"Sirius, sit down..."

"Sirius, my boy, you have to understand. The child will be safer with the Muggles; the blood wards will protect her from harm. Not only that, but they love her like she's their own."

"Do you honestly think we wouldn't be able to protect her, to give her the love she deserves?!"

"Gentleman, please. We can settle this in a civil way."

"...I apologize for my behavior but you must know that as Ashley's godfather, I have the right to take her under my wing. Her parents entrusted Remus and I for that task."

"I understand that, Sirius, I do, but as Ashley's current magical guardian and representative for her legal guardians, he has the right to forbid you from seeing her if it truly is for her safety."

As much as Sirius wanted to protest, he knew Amelia was right. He sighed in defeat and sat back down beside Remus, accepting and holding the hand he offered. They both ignored the almost smug look on Dumbledore's face. They had to. If not, they wouldn't have been able to stop themselves from starting a fight that would have surely sent the both of them to Azkaban.

"Now, I will try my best to speed up the process of this custody claim. In the meantime, the three of you will refrain causing any trouble that will affect your chances. Sirius, Remus, I know you disagree with this, but please do your best to try and stay away from Ashley."

Begrudgingly, Sirius and Remus nodded. With that, they were dismissed. They didn't spare Dumbledore a single glance as they left and apparated straight to Grimmauld Place. Thankfully, even after years of abandonment, the wards were still keyed to the two of them and the place was spotless. Unfortunately, Kreacher was not happy in the slightest to see them again (more so Sirius than Remus). They paid him and his muttered threats/insults no mind, too caught up in their thoughts regarding their Bambi.