Chapter 8: Welcome to Hogwarts

Hogsmeade Station, Scottish Highlands

Alyssa, Ashley, and Mitchelle grinned at each other the moment they felt the train stop. Alyssa unceremoniously grabbed the box holding Scabbers and shrunk it to fit in her pocket, making sure to shake it up a bit. Mitchelle pocketed the leftover sweets, while Ashley retrieved her familiar. Moko wrapped himself around the Potter Heiress' right arm, concealing himself underneath the sleeve of her robe. Together, the three girls waltzed out of the train alongside the other students, all bustling with excitement. Ashley tugged on both her friends' arms when she spotted Hagrid's large frame holding a lantern, making him visible within the darkness of the station.

"Right then, first years! This way please! Come on now, don't be shy! Hurry up!" He called out, "Oh, hello, Ashley."

"Hello! Hagrid, these are Mitch and Alyssa. I met them on the train." Ashley introduced as she approached the half-giant, gesturing to each girl as she mentioned their name.

"Pleasure to meet you two." Hagrid smiled, "Right then, this way to the boats! Come on, now, follow me."

He led the three girls off the station platform, followed by the rest of the first year students while the older students headed for the carriages. They reached the shore of the vast body of water known as the Black Lake where rows of boats were waiting for them. With the knowledge of each boat fitting four people at most, Ashley, Alyssa, and Mitchelle all piled into one and looked for a fourth companion. Noticing a girl standing off to the side all on her own, they waved her over to join their little group. One by one, the boats began moving across the lake and towards the massive Hogwarts castle. Smiling, Ashley turned to face the girl she had yet to know the name of.

The stranger's pale skin glowed dimly underneath the moonlight. Wavy blonde locks with the tips dyed black framed her face, cut short just below her chest. Her eyes, bright and intelligent, were a brilliant shade of stormy grey. She introduced herself as Hikari Ai, a half-Japanese Muggle-born. In her arms was a small American Cocker Spaniel named Chocnut. Named after a type of chocolate, she explained. Ashley guessed he was the blonde's familiar and wondered if she was aware of that fact.

"My name is Ashley. This is Mitch, and this is Alyssa. It's nice to meet you, Ai."

Just as Ashley extended her hand for a handshake, Moko decided that it was a great time to pop out. This action made Ai and Chocnut jump, rocking the boat in the process and drawing the attention of the nearby students. Apologizing, Ashley explained what Moko meant to her. Luckily, Ai understood, revealing that she did know what familiars were and that Chocnut was, indeed, her familiar. Chocnut and Moko seemed to get along after that. The snake hadn't asked Ashley's permission to eat the puppy, after all, and the puppy himself just seemed oh so curious. The trio got to know Ai well during the short boat ride and they became fast friends with her. She was a bit timid at first but she was easy to talk to. She was quite adorable, really. She had a habit of turning beet red every time she laughed, and another habit of speaking fast when flustered. She showcased this when she learned that it was actually Ashley's birthday and greeted her with a bunch of jumbled words.

"It's beautiful..." Ai suddenly said, gazing up at the castle they were gradually coming closer to.

"It is, isn't it?" Ashley smiled fondly.

"I'm still in disbelief, you know? I can't believe that this is all real, that magic is real." Ai uttered, gesturing wildly with her hands.

Preach, sister. I'm still expecting to wake up from this, most likely, sugar-high-induced dream.

"Merlin, we feel the same way. We only just found out a few days ago." Mitchelle giggled, shrugging casually.

"Oh, really? That must have been quite a shock for you. At least I had three months to prepare myself."