Chapter 12: Light in the Darkness

Azkaban, Island in the North Sea

"You don't have to be so nervous, Padfoot. Here, just hold her like this..."

Pure love...

Limitless adoration...

Bright, ever so enchanting green eyes stared up at Sirius in wonder, drowsy from having just woken up. In that single moment, he knew that he was absolutely done for. He fell head over heels for the baby girl cuddled comfortably against his chest. One smile from her; that was all it took for him to swear upon his magic that he would do anything and everything in his power to keep her safe and happy (preferably with him and Moony in the picture). Though completely unaware of the deeper meaning behind their instant connection, he loved her with everything he had. It wasn't that hard to figure out that his lover felt the exact same way when he saw Remus seemingly melt as she was transferred in his arms.

Their beautiful little Bambi...

~~~~~~~~

"M... M..."

"Come on, princess. Say 'mama'."

"M... M..."

"Go ahead, Bambi, say 'mama'."

"M...oon! Moon!"

Sirius laughed out loud at the exasperated looks on Lily and James' faces as his Bambi uttered her first word. It just further proved that their daughter held a sacred bond with their best friends. Remus, on the other hand, was incredibly shocked, close to tears even. What an honor it was for him to be the light of their lives' first word. Sirius could admit that he was a little jealous but nevertheless, he felt happy for his lover. Such happiness was rare to find in the time of war. With everything going on, Sirius really couldn't complain about a petty thing like that. After all, he claimed the spot for his Bambi's next word, just not in the way he expected. The nights they spent stargazing with Remus actually paid off.

"S...tar! Star, Moon!"

~~~~~~~~

"You can do it, Bambi!"

"One step at a time, cub."

Sirius outstretched his arms towards the nine-month-old girl who was as unstable in taking her first steps as her cartoon namesake. He and Remus were kneeling side by side, coaxing their Bambi to walk towards them. The pride they felt when she did was overwhelming. They caught her just in time when she stumbled forward, her light giggle resonating through their souls. They were pretty sure that their adoration for the little girl was clear in their expressions. Remus lifted her in his arms, sighing contentedly when she yawned and sleepily tucked her head in the crook of his neck. Sirius watched them with a fond smile, oblivious to the knowing look James and Lily shared behind them.

~~~~~~~~

"...I still don't know how you do that."

"Do what?"

"Get her to stop crying like that. Even Lily finds it hard..."

Sirius nonchalantly shrugged, rocking the sleeping baby in his arms as he did so. James put his hands up in mock frustration from where he was seated on the couch, watching as both of his best friends coddled his daughter. A worn out Remus sat beside Sirius with his head resting on the slightly older man's shoulder. Both James and Sirius had never seen the werewolf so...at peace, especially with the full moon being that near. Sirius assumed James was confused. However, Sirius wasn't, not completely at least. He knew that the reason for Remus' serenity was being in the presence of their beloved Bambi, he just wasn't sure why. Remus had mentioned once that Moony recognized her as part of his pack and considered her as his cub, feeling immensely protective (and possessive) of her. Of course, James knew this as well but this knowledge only cemented the theory he and Lily had, the theory that Sirius and Remus had no clue about.