Chapter 5 - Prove Them Wrong

I wake up later that day, feeling dizzy and sore all over. I sighed before opening my eyes and panicked when I didn't recognize my surroundings at first. Then I realized my memories weren't just a weird dream and I gave myself a moment to groan into the pillow under my head.

Stretching my aching muscles, I got up from the bed and looked out the window. I gasped as I realized it was almost nighttime. I was a lot more tired than I thought.

I opened the door of the room and realized no one was on the outside. Since we agreed that I wouldn't run away anymore, it wasn't needed. However, it made me feel a bit anxious to be left alone on a castle I didn't know. Because I was feeling hungry, I stepped outside to go to the kitchen, when I realized I had no idea where the kitchen was and how to get there.

- Coal? – I called, although I had no hope that he was anywhere near enough to hear me.

However, I was surprised when a shadow suddenly flashed across the wall and suddenly Coal manifested right in front of me.

- I apologize, Miss. I was making sure the food was being prepared down in the kitchen – he said.

- You actually heard me? – I was astonished.

- We hear everyone who calls us – he explained.

- Oh... You mentioned food? I am actually quite hungry – I admitted.

- Of course. You haven't eaten since morning. Please, follow me to the kitchen. I want to make sure you can eat what is being prepared – he said, starting to walk away.

- I can eat pretty much anything as long as it's human food – I stated.

- What about your allergies? – he asked as we descended a set of stairs.

I cursed myself for forgetting I actually said I had food allergies to get out of the dungeons.

- Right... It's just a peanut allergy, so as long as my foods don't have peanuts in it, should be fine – I lied, feeling awful about it but not ready to confess I had deceived him before.

- Dinner should not be a problem, then – Coal replied, relieved.

- Will the others... be at the kitchen? – I questioned, trying to sound indifferent. But Coal glanced at me and saw I was fearful still.

- Some, yes. But just ignore them. They won't hurt you now that you're a guest.

- Hope so. They didn't seem to like me very much.

- We are creatures that do not associate with others very well, Miss. Don't take it personally.

- Really? But you are friendly, and so is Scarlet. Although she is a bit rougher around the edges – I conceded.

- You must have low expectations for what "friendly" means – Coal admonishes.

Before I could respond, he opened the familiar doors that led into the kitchen. It was very much like I remembered before, just a bit darker now that natural light was fading away. The creatures all looked at us for a moment in silence, but then decided to resume their banters and loud conversations, ignoring us completely.

- The food for the human is ready – one of the creatures, wider and rounder, with dark brown sharp eyes said. He was next to the furnace with a wooden spoon on his hand, so I assumed he was the cook.

- Great. Hand it to me. Miss Valentina, please sit – Coal ordered, grabbing my plate and serving it to me as I sat on a wooden chair.

- Why does she have to eat here? – one of the creatures whined.