Chapter 18 - A Cure

- Okay, guys, don't freak out – I start to calmly ask them, slowly stepping towards them. It wasn't really working.

- But you... Master... what... - Coal was a blabbing mess, talking with an out of breath whisper, large grey eyes continuously switching between me and Emmeric, one hand raised and pointing his finger aimlessly.

Scarlett had gone quiet, almost stoic, her usually cat purple eyes seeming very round when she opened them wide like that, although she was staring at the ground. If I didn't know her to be a very confident and self-assured creature, I would have thought she was being shy or embarrassed.

- Do not waste time trying to explain everything to them now. We have to return to the castle immediately – Emmeric ordered, putting on his gloves again. – Shadows, let's go.

At his commanding tone, both Coal and Scarlett returned to reality and, changing into their true form, enveloped me and Emmeric with their shadowy bodies and dropped us safe and sound at the entrance of the castle, even opening the doors for us.

I smiled at the cheers and relief gasps that were heard in the throne room, where every Shadow was patiently awaiting our return. Immediately they started surrounding Emmeric, hugging his legs – the only part of his body their small height reached – as he tried to move past them and move towards his throne.

- Yes, yes. You were all very concerned for nothing – he stated, finally able to sit on his throne. – I was perfectly fine, as Valentina might tell you.

- But why was Master taken? – one Shadow asked.

- And how did they know where to get you? – another interjected, raising a good question.

- It seems the King of Elves has been raising problems with the Realm of Fairies. They wanted my help to correct that, even if it's next to nothing I can do. But we have bigger problems than that – he warned, one hand massaging the side of his head stressfully.

- So, the poison. It's not just with the Sirens, it's in other Realms too. What does that mean exactly? – I inquire, moving to sit at the last step up towards his throne.

- It means – he starts explaining, removing a glove – that the poison is spread all around the Forest. Killing it slowly. – He snaps his fingers and a chair appears next to him, to which he gestures with his head for me to sit at.

Smiling happily, I get up from the stairs and sit in the comfortable chair he arranged, thanking him as I do so.

- Killing it? Isn't that really bad? – I continue, concerned.

- Extremely. I just don't understand what kind of purpose someone can have to do this – Emmeric seemed not only anxious, but very frustrated. – Last time, it was to reopen the gate. I could understand her, why she did it... But why would someone do it now?

- She?... – I inquired. It was the first time I heard of the last human being a female.

Emmeric sighed heavily, closing his eyes for a minute. Even the shadows grew more silent, as if a mournful ambience had settled. It left me confused and apprehensive.

- Remember how the King... my father, kept talking about my hate of humans? Asking you if you knew why I always hated humans? – Emmeric asked me, with a tired sounding voice.

- Yes... - I recalled, feeling like I was about to understand another piece of the puzzle.

- Well, the truth is I never met any humans. The only human I ever came in contact with... was my mother.

I gasped and froze, surely with eyes as wide as plates and mouth hanging open in absolute shock. Completely paralyzed at such news, all I could do was continuing to hear Emmeric, even if my mind seemed to be too blown away to absorb all of this information.