Chapter 19 - Stubborn Human

- What are you doing, Alwin? – Emmeric exhaled, barely loud enough for the man standing in front of him to hear.

I observed as I cautiously got out from behind the tree, looking between the two man, scared and confused. The flames were still burning bright, spreading around us, bringing up a sense of dangerous claustrophobia in me, for there was no exit through the tall fire.

- Those damn fairies... They couldn't keep you busy for just a while longer, could they? – Alwin grunted from behind his clenched teeth, taking a few steps forward.

- So you sent them. You told them where to find me – it wasn't a question, it was a realization from Emmeric, still standing frozen as Alwin grew a bit closer. The Shadows growled deeply in a threatening manner, but they wouldn't attack unless Emmeric ordered them to.

- Sometimes I wonder why I bother, really. You just don't let things go, do you, Emmeric? You just couldn't let the mystery of why the human arrived be a mystery, could you?

Regaining a bit of his composure, Emmeric straightened up and walked to stand between Alwin and the big tree, in a protective stance. His muscles were tense, but he still wasn't raising his sword against his friend.

- Was it really you from the beginning? Have you really been poisoning the Forest all this time? – Emmeric's voice was a bit shaky, as if he was begging for Alwin to deny it, to explain himself.

- After finding your dear mother's diary, the one you have since the Ball thanks to that big mouthed maid, the only difficult part was going to the Monsters Realm and convince the Gorgons to give me the poison. Took a bit of negotiation, but eventually they agreed with my terms... - Alwin started to recall, very matter-of-fact like, as if it was the most normal of things.

- Why, Alwin? – was the last question Emmeric had, the one he could never quite figure out.

Alwin chuckled darkly, looking straight at Emmeric with large energetic emerald eyes. I had never seen him like this, so out of control, when he was usually so civil and proper.

- Why? Because there is no other choice! – he yelled, his inner rage coming up. – For years and years, I witnessed all of King Albericus' abuse of power, his narcissistic decisions, staining the name of our kind! And now, he was actually consider invading other Realms, Emmeric. He was going to start another War between all of the good species. How could I allow that?

- I understand, Alwin – Emmeric started saying, a lot calmer than before. – Believe me, I understand why you had to stop him. But why attacking the Forest? Don't you know the consequences this will bring?

- I just need the barrier to fall. That's all it takes for me to stop, for the magical wall between us and the Monsters to fall down – Alwin shrugged his shoulders.

- Are you absolutely mad? What will that achieve?!

- The death of Albericus. Only the Monsters can kill him. Don't you see, Emmeric? Once he is dead, all problems are solved. And you'll be able to ascend to the throne, how nice would that be? – Alwin smiled at that, trying to please Emmeric.

- You're only starting a War to stop another! – Emmeric accused, not swayed by his words. – The Monsters will kill many innocent lives, they'll seek revenge for being banished.

- I just need them to kill the King. Then, we'll just send the Monster back, like we did before. Any other lives lost, well, they're just necessary sacrifices – Alwin persisted, completely blinded by his plan.

- I can't let you do that, Alwin. You've gone completely crazy.

Alwin shook his head and tsk-tsked, getting frustrated.