Chapter 9 - Accomplishments

The chaotic noise still caught me by surprise every time I opened the kitchen's door close to lunch or dinner time. I could have successfully convinced the Shadows to clean after themselves, repaying their efforts with a bit of chocolate and other candies I pulled from the shelves, but they still made a complete mess when they were all together in the kitchen.

Still, I knew they would clean everything by the end, and I was growing accustomed to it.

- Hi, Coal, Scarlett – I greeted, stopping midway to them to allow a chair to be thrown past me, and dodging a fork directed at a specific Shadow that I heard complain loudly. I wasn't trying to get my white button-down dress dirty.

- I apologize, Miss, but lunch won't be ready for at least another hour – Coal informed me.

- That's okay, I'm not hungry yet – I assured him. – I was just bored of being in the library alone. Maybe I could help?

- No one touch my kitchen! – the cook immediately warned, pointing a wooden spoon my way.

- Okay, so no cooking – I sighed, blowing a piece of my loose hair out of my face.

- Not much you can do here, I'm afraid – Scarlett said, as she picked up a silver tray.

Watching her place a plate and the tableware carefully on the tray, an idea crossed my mind.

- Scarlett, haven't you mentioned a dining room a few days ago? Where is it? – I inquired.

I saw her frown, confused, but she answered me anyway.

- Yes, it's the room on the other side of the castle. It hasn't been used in years, though.

- Let's clean it and use it today! – I proposed.

Scarlett and Coal looked confused at one another. I saw Coal shrug at a silent Scarlett, as if she asked some question. They both turned my direction again.

- Why would we clean it today? – Scarlett asked, continuing what she was doing.

- Is the kitchen uncomfortable, Miss? We can take your meals somewhere else, if you'd prefer – Coal suggested.

I smiled and shook my head.

- Not at all, I don't mind this confusion as much I thought I would, actually. I guess I kind of like the company of the Shadows – I confessed.

- Aw! – I heard a Shadow beside me interject.

- She likes us! – another one said, pleased.

- Who likes us? – one at the back asked.

- Who the hell do you think could be? – an irritated one queried.

- I don't know, that's why I'm asking!

- The only new creature we had around us in years, you dumb! – another answered.

That didn't seem to help the confused Shadow.

- Who?

- The HUMAN! – the Shadows all responded as one.

- Ah!... – The Shadow nodded, a smile reaching his eyes. But only for a moment. – What about the human?

Chairs were thrown at him and exasperated sighs were heard all over the kitchen. I couldn't help but chortle at the situation.

- I do like you all – I stated. – I just thought it would be nice to eat somewhere else every once in a while. And if we have a dining room, why wouldn't we use it?

They all started discussing amongst each other, different voices talking and whispering at the same time. It didn't seem like they understood where I was coming from. They had probably been eating in the kitchen for who knows how many years, so they didn't see a reason to change now.