Chapter 1: Fight or Flight

"What are we going to do your highness?"

"All we need to do is wait for that old man to die then we will take over my rightful kingdom!" Rodrick's snotty voice rang out in the hidden room.

"Rodrick, my dearest brother, I know you are not planning anything against Jewel, now are you?" My voice held even, but the beginnings of regret swam through my person, when I noticed the fifty or so guards surrounding Rodrick.

"Oh Alexandria! My one and only sister-" "The king has passed! The king has passed!" Someone outside interrupted his speech, but a devilish smile appeared on his face.

"Well it doesn't matter now, does it Little Alex?"

"Don't call me that!"

"Grab her! I don't care what you do with her!" With a few simple word the guards surrounding Rick lunges at me, forcing me to fall back and try to escape.

My heartbeat thundered in my ears as I ran from the wave of guards behind me, thinking of how I must find Jewel. Of course, Rodrick had the same idea.

"Find my bastard of a brother! Kill him or bring him to me! I need Jewel gone!"

Hot tears burned my eyes, and I could feel a heat building up in my stomach. I knew my shaky control was going to fail, but I have to hold on. I can not lose control again; it never ends well when I lose control.

Red tinted my vision, and my entire body burned.

I lost it.

My control went out the window. The burning window.

Fire filled my vision and painful screams echoed in my ears. Fire covered everything and no one was spared. Smoke began to fill the room; the thick smell knocking me out of my fire fueled daze- I need to run. Hopefully Jewel survives this and meets me sometime in the future, that's if I survive this catastrophe too.

I blocked any worries about my brother and ran towards my room, grabbing my cape, gloves, and some weapons I could easily carry with me. Before I jumped out the widow of my third story room, I grabbed my mask and slipped it on, then jumped, momentarily enjoying the air before I hit the ground with a resounding 'thud'.

"Oh lord... something broke or sprained or did something very painful..." I groaned out, attempting to ignore the black spots in my vision. They danced across my eyes, making the surrounding terrain blurry and hard to see. 

Maybe I shouldn't have just jumped like that, but its too late for those thoughts. I need to find a way to escape quickly, before Rodrick's goons find me. I move away from the burning castle, and try to think of a plan of action.

My quiver's weight on my shoulder made it throb and my left ankle burned like a searing iron pressed against it every time I took a step. I can't continue like this; I need a horse. That is my best chance at escaping Rodrick alive, but I still don't know where Jewel is. He is supposed to be the heir to the thrown, but it seems that Rodrick has changed those plans. 

I shake my head in an attempt to focus myself on the task at hand, escape, but I let out a small groan at the dizziness that follows the sudden movement. The stables are in a secluded area north of the castle, so I slowly move north, hoping to stay hidden from the guards. Of course, all of the guards seem to be focused on the burning castle and my dead father. 

Eventually, I stumbled into the large stable, and grabbed the first horse I saw. The stead kneeled down, seeming to sense my pain, and allowed me to hop onto his back. As soon as my hand grabbed the stallions mane, he took off, leaving a cloud of dust in our wake.

The bouncing of the horses gallop shook my body, causing a hellish pain the sweep through my entire being, and those black spots began to block more of my vision, slowly becoming impossible to ignore. I flexed my jaw in attempt to stay aware of my surroundings, but my pain continued to envelop my consciousness, dragging me into a deep sleep, with only the slight feeling of my body slumping forward against the warm neck of my stead.