I - Of why we stayed

The stories you will tell your children  would always  start with a" Once upon a time"- A fairytale that you could only dreamed of , and yet filled with truth as the rest portrays the history (retelling) of you

Whenever you tell it, make sure that your voice doesn't quiver, how could you? When the prideful stories you'll tell, lives inside your memories - the kind of hurting, healing and loving, from the first time that you saw her, up until your very last breath. True enough, they will prepare to listen until the very end, with ears and (emerald) eyes full of curiosity... Just make sure that when you tell the truth, part of you is ready. 

The bridge at Terabithia was such a wonderful movie (even though you said you hate it here, after one week of moving from Miami), this place reminds you of it. You stomp your foot further in an idle circle, the crispy sound of munching red pile of leaves as your curious eyes spectate each and everyone of it. Miami doesn't give you varying shades of red and orange heaps of leaves. Your big green eyes glinting, mesmerize with red leaves and the crisp air signaling that winter and snow is coming. The rain was not helping tho. You want to hear your steps as they crunch the dried leaves of autumn. The rain was pelting through the skies washing everything and creating puddles here and there.

You're not sure of why you're here, all alone; petulant to go back inside even though it's raining. All you're sure of is that 6 months from now you'll be 9 and YOU STILL WANT to go back to Miami.

6 steps from you where you are walking. You didn't know that encroaching on those dried leaves would be the reason you chose to stay, the person who would mean the most to you on the upcoming days of your life.

You met your soulmate at 8

****

You hit the pile of leaves with a stick. "Ouch"

Question sprouts from you like weeds. Like a conundrum, a riddle of who she is and why she's also here?

The contrast of what she was wearing seems odd but so is she. Why is she hidden on those piles of wet leaves? Then you saw the purplish bruise forming on her forehead. Shit!

You duck down and grab her forehead without thinking.

"Ooww..."

" Oh! OH shii - I'm - I'm sorry I didn't see you there - I. Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry"

Her gaze cuts you like slits. You gulp when her gaze on you intensifies. O gosh she's so cute - darn it! Lauren now is not the time for admiring cute girls who you have just hit on the face seconds ago.

" I um - you gulp again then press the pads of your fingers to her forehead- this time more gently. "Does it hurt?"

She flinches when you touch her, the bruise looks bad. You felt a lot more awful from hurting her. Even when you don't mean too.

She nods. She looks at the ground, open palm of her hands playing with red dried leaves then she says,

"It's ok. Mami says, sometimes you accidentally hurt people you love, even when you don't mean to."

People you love? Even when you don't mean too? - her words keep replaying in your head like - What does that supposed to mean?

Your 9 yr old heart says she sound funny;(not the kind of funny that had you in tears rolling on the floor laughing from some stupid prank Chris pulled on Taylor) - the kind of funny you want to ask her "huh, What does that supposed to mean?" is something wrong?"

And you want to know more because your gut tells you there's something different, she's different. You want to tell her no I think people don't hurt people they love and that's just ... I don't know- maybe, wrong of how her words sits with you.