Jake - February 8

I wake up late. I have spent the night in Josh's room just in case but, in the morning, he's nowhere to be found. I go to Sam's room but he is still asleep. Danny is on the phone with Kenzie and does not seem to care that the singer of his band is missing. I do not blame him. I can't stop thinking about Katie myself and I met her only a few days ago. As a last resort, I go to Michael's room.

"There you are," Josh says, looking happy to see me. His voice is still hoarse but he is in a better mood.

"I was exactly where you left me, Josh." I notice I sound a bit rude as the words come out, but I'm actually quite happy that he is not doing something stupid that would probably get all of us in trouble.

"You weren't. I just went to my room to wake you up and you weren't there, Jake," he says overstressing my name just like I did with his.

"Oh, that's because I was looking for you, pothead."

"Hey, hey. Be nice to your older brother."

"Cut it with that already, would you? How you feelin'?"

"Much better," he says. "Actually, I was looking for you 'cos I need you to be my babysitter. Mikey says I can go out but not alone."

I throw an irritated look at Michael. "Why do you do this to me? As much as I'd like to, I can't put a muzzle over his mouth."

"Come on! It's not like he'll start singing a full opera at the top of his lungs, Jake. Don't be ridiculous. I'm just being cautious," Michael says trying to sound reassuring.

"Actually, he is the only person I know who would most probably do something like that."

"Well, I guess he is kind of unpredictable, yeah" he says, and shrugs. "Whatever. It's up to you. No babysitter, no sunlight. Last word."

All the way back to my room, Josh's squeaky voice penetrates my eardrums and pierces my brain until I give in.

"We leave in ten minutes. Ten. Not nine, not eleven. Got it?" I say in a patronizing tone. He nods. Just before I close the door, I catch a glimpse of him bouncing gracefully on the way to his room.

I grab my phone and text Katie asking her for the address she totally forgot to send me last night. I get a text back almost immediately. She apologizes and says she got distracted by some weirdo knocking on her door and asking for spare kisses right after I left. I'm suddenly aware of the goofy smile escaping my lips as I stare at my phone. I'm in deep shit.

Exactly ten minutes later, I see Josh waiting for me next to the car, standing like a Boy Scout.

"I was thinking we could go to the beach," he suggests as soon as we get in the car.

"I'm not your bitch, Joshua. We're going where I say we're going." When Josh says nothing, I realize I've overreacted. "I'm sorry. I know this isn't easy for you either. Let's make the most of this shitty situation, shall we?" He smiles and looks down. "We're still going where I say, tho." He complains a bit but I know he's just pulling my leg now.

I let him choose the music as I drive. We pull up outside an In-N-Out and his face lights up.

"Don't get too excited, cowboy. It's only 10 a.m." I snort as I walk towards the library.

Josh follows me in and starts protesting almost immediately. "You gotta be kidding me. We have like a thousand books on the bus, Jake. I bet you haven't read most of them. For Christ's sake, can we just go to the beach? We don't have one of those on the bus, yanno?"

I find myself caught between laughing and killing him for the second time today. Once again, I choose the one option that will not end up with me in jail.

It takes me a few seconds to spot Katie behind a pile of books. Josh follows my line of vision and sneers at the sight.

"Oh, I get it." He walks towards her. "Katie, right?"

"Mh, yes? Do I kno-" She sees me standing a few feet behind Josh. "OH! The twin! Josh, is it? From the apartment, yeah, I remember. Yes, it's Katie. Hi," she laughs nervously.

"I know, it was a rhetorical question, honey. I probably know your blood type by now. Jake won't stop talking about you."

Katie's face turns red and I feel my own cheeks burn with embarrassment. I punch Josh's arm and we all laugh. I can't be mad at him. He is just being honest.

"So, what are you two doing here?" Katie says, breaking the ice.

I tell her about my new job babysitting Josh and I lie about being around and just stopping by to say hi. I also make sure to give my brother a threatening look that guarantees his silence. He smirks in return but says nothing. We chat for a bit until some people come into the library and she has to go back to work.

"See you at three, then." I kiss her cheek and get closer to her ear. "You look so beautiful, K. You have no idea."

Josh and I drive to the closest beach and decide to take a walk along the coast before lunch.

"What was that about? You really had nothing to say to her?" Josh says out of the blue.

"What? What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"Do you realize how creepy that was? We drove all the way there to talk about the weather. What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Well, she doesn't know that. She thinks we were around."

"But I do know, Jake. I think you are in love, man."

"WHAT?! No, I'm not."

"You are a freak, then." I do not react. "You'd rather be a freak than admit that you are in love. You are something else, Jakey," Josh says as he raises his hands and shakes his head. He pauses for a minute but then goes on. "By the way, I don't need you to confess. I can tell you're definitely in love." He starts plodding on the sand as quickly as he can and I sprint after him. I tackle him down and we stay there, lying on the beach for what feels like hours. Neither of us speaks.

When it's time to have lunch we go back to the In-N-Out. After we bolt down our burgers, we drive to the hotel. Michael is waiting for us in the hall. He mocks us and pretends to be shocked that we haven't killed each other. Ironically, I get the feeling that the imp and I are closer than ever.

"He's a good boy," I say, patting his head. Josh goes along with it and puts on his best angelical face while holding his hands above his head forming a halo.

Michael laughs and asks him to stay in for the rest of the day. He nods and goes to the cafeteria for some ginger tea. I ask Mikey if he needs me - because I know he doesn't - and when he sets me free, I go get ready for my date with Katie. I grab my surfboard, a change of clothes and snacks, of course. Although I know it's early, I drive to the library and wait for her outside.