Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Aspyn

I heard the truck pulling up and knew that Mikai was home from the meeting with the lawyer. He texed me and told me that Vicki wanted to come to the house and help him explain everything. I had been holding a grudge for weeks now. I was trying to slowly let it go for the well-being of myself and the baby.

I told him that she could come for a little while. Without making any promises to be civil. I didn't really know how I would react when I saw her. I had been cleaning the house and had the girl's toys soaking in the sink in a mild disinfectant. Especially Asa's. She still put things in her mouth. It was sensory for her. The feeling of them. She worked on that with her therapist as well. The good news was that she was saying new words and that was a miracle. It's how I knew there was a God.

They both made their way in the house. He came right over and kissed my cheek as I heated the water where the toys were a little more. She came over and placed both hands on my stomach.

"Look at you." she said. Before I could protest or push her hands away, she hugged me and whispered in my ear that she was so sorry and missed me so much.

Her show of emotions caught me off guard and I found myself hugging her back. I had been praying that God would take the hatred for them from my heart. And I had also been praying that he opens my eyes to anything else that I needed to know. He was answering prayers because where I wanted to punch her in her nose, was now replaced with wanted to hug her back.

Kai was standing there smiling to see us in an embrace. Once we were done. She took her jacket off and went over to the toys and started to clean them while Kai spoke.

"It's pretty much like Vicki said. They are saying that the best bet is to divorce you and make her the first wife. With all of the prejudice in the townships about plural marriage, she is likely to lose against him. He has his card to play and it may be UNO and Out if we don't convince them that the girls are in a safe environment." He explained.

"Why does us living this way mean that it's unsafe?" I wanted to know.

"Exactly. What could be safer than the children living in a home where three adults love them and each other. A household where they would go the extra mile for each other. I just wish they could see that." Vicki added before she began to cry.

My face softened even more towards Vicki. I could tell it was giving Kai hope that I had forgiven her. Or was well on my way to doing so. My heart has always been good. I forgave my father far more easily for his affairs on my mother than my sister ever did. Summer still hated him for that. I knew that Kai nor Vicki were her favorite people these days either.

My sister was right about one thing. For as intelligent as I was, I will say that at times I was easily led. That's why they were able to pull this big of a deception on me. I wish it didn't take them lying and deceiving me. Even with that being the case, I wouldn't want to be living a life without Kai or the girls. Vicki had grown on me too.

Kai hugged Vicki and continued to fill me in on everything that the lawyer had said. As soon as he was done, Vicki chimed in.

"I know it's asking too much to have you legally divorce Kai just so we could keep the girls. I'll talk to Po again. Maybe we can work something out. His anger is with me leaving him. I know that. This is the only way he can get to me. Which is what he knows. Maybe I can help him see reason. I mean, what is he going to do with two little girls anyway? Right?" she said, then began bawling even harder than she had been earlier.

After a few minutes, when Vicki was wiping her face and a little calmer, I nodded my head for my husband to follow me into the den. Once we got there, I began to speak.

"I don't want you to think for one second that I have totally forgiven either one of you. What you two did was horrible, sneaky, conniving and plain old wrong. Having said that, we are a family. No matter how we got here. We can't send her back to the hotel by herself while she's crying and snotting all over the place. I know if you were trying to take Asa, I would need people who loved me around."

He stepped over to me and took my face in between his strong hands. He kissed me and I allowed him too. Opening my mouth to accept his tongue. They danced together for what had to have only been seconds. It's seemed longer. I had missed kissing him that way. We hadn't since I found and watched the recordings. I hoped I wasn't making a mistake letting them back in.