how you break up

Ponyboy: He was constantly paranoid that you would find someone better than him. Because of this, he was always hovering around, making sure you were staying away from other guys. Not only did this annoy you, but it made you feel bad because you felt like he couldn't trust you. You tried to talk to him about it, but it resulted in a massive fight, with you running away crying.

Sodapop: You were being harassed by Soc girls who were jealous that you got to be with Soda. It started off as rude comments at school, calling you ugly or unworthy of him, but it started getting worse. Rumors would begin to fly around about terrible things you didn't do, and eventually, you couldn't handle it. You called Soda one day after school in tears, and broke it off with him.

Darry: You were upset with Darry for constantly being away. He was always at work, and when he wasn't, he was nagging his brothers. You tried to be understanding, but it was hard when he'd always make plans with you and cancel at the last minute. You're relationship was deteriorating and you knew it was time to end things. You broke up in person, and it took all of your will not to run into his arms and kiss away the broken look in his eyes, but you couldn't keep missing him anymore.

Steve: You had the hunch that Steve was only dating you for sex. You had been dealing with self doubt and Steve just seemed to be busy outside of the time you both spent in bed. You confronted him and he was shocked you'd even think that. He broke up with you, feeling betrayed, wondering how you could think he used you like that.

Johnny: Johnny was a nervous wreck, to say the least. He was afraid of how badly you could break him because he'd already lost so much. The more he started to care for you, the more he distanced himself. He broke up with you out of the blue, in a panic.

Dally: You were sick and tired of Dally coming home drunk and beaten all the time. You'd tried to talk to him about before, but he'd only shrugged you off. Eventually, you couldn't take it anymore. You were losing sleep, staying up until 4 am, waiting for him to come home, not knowing if he was alive. You took off the necklace he gave you and left it on the counter with a note, and went to stay at the Curtis house.

Two-Bit: You and Two-Bit were both terrible at communicating. Things started out great between you two, but you'd recently started arguing over petty things, and fighting constantly. You did love each other, but your mutual refusals to talk about your problems to each other overshadowed that. You both agreed to take a break for a while.