Chapter 1: An Invitation

"Nope, nope, nope," I mumble to myself, smacking my forehead with my palm. I sigh and backspace everything I had written for my job application (you had to write out an application for this one). There's no way I'm gonna land a job if I talk like a preschooler. I need my words to be big, that way the boss will think I'm smarter. I also need to say how good my work ethic is; bosses go crazy over that sort of stuff.

   I look up at the ceiling (I do that when I think), trying to decide what to write.

   I get ripped from my thoughts by my phone ringing.

   I look on my coffee table, and there's my phone. Blasting my Panic! At the Disco ringtone.

   I look at the contact name, and it's Arin who's calling. Yep. A-R-I-N. Arin Hanson. His name is spelt weird, I know.

   My brother. My brother that I hardly ever talk to nowadays.

   We used to be best buddies. But my big bro moved to California.

   That was years ago. I haven't seen him since.

   I smile, happy that I have someone to distract me from my application. I pick up the phone and say, "Heya, Hanson."

   Even though I can't see Arin, I know he's smiling. "'Sup, other Hanson."

   Aw, he remembers how we used to greet each other.

   "So, what's up?" I ask. "You hardly ever call me anymore."

   "Hey, don't me seem like the negligent older brother!" he whines. "You don't call me either!"

   Damn. Arin has always had a way of stumping me in the comeback department.

   I sigh. "Fair point. But what's up, Arin?"

Again, I can't see him, but I'm 100% sure that he's smiling. "Well, I want you to come visit me in Glendale. I was going to invite you earlier, but I either got caught up with work or forgot."

I'm about to respond, when...

"Arin, who are you talking to?" I hear a distant voice ask Arin. The voice is slightly high and smooth. All in all, it's very attractive.

"My sister," Arin replies. "Remember? I told you about her?"

"Ooooh," the voice says. "(Y/N), right?"

"Mhm," Arin says. "Now shoo, Dan. You're interrupting our conversation. And being slightly annoying."

The dude named Dan scoffs. "Well, excuse me for coming in to give you some Sour Patch Kids."

Arin goes silent. I love how he's talking to his friend like I'm not there. Then he goes, "...Dan?"

"NO," Dan says. "They're mine now. Too bad you couldn't keep your big fucking mouth shut."

"Wow, Arin," I say. "If you were nice, you would've gotten Sour Patch Kids. But now, you just get a bag of sadness. You blew your chance."

I must've been on speaker phone, because Dan says before Arin can respond, "You should never trust a man with a streak in his hair, (Y/N). They blow everything. Not just their chances to get Sour Patch Kids."

Arin sighs. "Oh, fuck off."

"Aw, I love you too," Dan says. "I'll be leaving now. Raiding your fridge and whatnot. Bye, (Y/N)."

"Bye," I say to Dan. Then I ask Arin, "So, you made a new friend?"

How come I haven't heard about him?