Chapter 3: Arin's Ship (I'm bad at making good chapter names)

You know, I never thought that I'd kill anybody. But right now, I'm seriously thinking about killing Arin. Yeah, he's my brother, but so what? He deserves it.

   I begin to hear a conversation from the other side of the door.

   I can't really hear what the voices are saying, though, so I creep closer to the door. I sit on the floor and try not to make any noise as I open the door a crack so I can hear.

   I hear Arin laughing. That bitch. "She needs to grow some balls. What a baby."

   Okay, any chance of Arin living is now eliminated. Sorry, big bro. But this is how it has to be.

   Dan doesn't laugh or poke fun at me. Instead, he says, "Dude, that wasn't cool. You really embarrassed her."

   Aw, at least someone's nice enough to stick up for me. Either Dan's super nice or Arin's just a really shitty human being.

   Probably both.

   "Exactly. That was my intention," Arin says. "That's what older brothers do."

   "That's not what good older brothers do, Arin," Dan says, sighing. "I have a sister too, and I would never do that to her."

   Arin is silent for a minute. Then he says, "I guess you're right. I shouldn't have embarrassed her like that." He pauses, then says quietly, "It was pretty funny how she reacted though."

   "No, it wasn't. I actually feel really bad for her," Dan says.

Again, what a nice person.

There's a bit of silence between the two. Then Dan says, "I'm gonna go talk to her."

"Shit," I mumble, getting up and sitting on the bed. So that Dan won't see me sitting on the floor and super close to the door like a weirdo. And so that he won't think I'm eavesdropping.

Which I was.

But he doesn't need to know that.

Dan comes in and gives me a sympathetic smile. "Hey," he says, sitting on the bed next to me. "You okay?"

I now realize that instead of running into the guest room like a baby, I could've just brushed off Arin's remark and said that it wasn't true. If only I could think of these things in the moment. Seems pretty obvious now.

"Hi," I say, looking anywhere but at Dan's eyes. "Listen...what Arin told you...it's...it's not true..."

Wow, (Y/N). That sounded super convincing. Dan's totally gonna believe that.

I finally look him in the eye.

He raises an eyebrow as he says, "Which is why you didn't deny it and ran into the guest room out of embarrassment."

I open my mouth to argue with him, but shut it once I realize that I have nothing to say at the moment.

   Dan chuckles. "Look, I get it. Everybody thinks I'm sexy, so therefore, I'm not surprised that you think so." He flips his long, curly hair to the side sassily.

   I'm not sure if he's joking or not, but I chuckle anyway. What he said is super true, but I doubt he'd be that cocky to someone he just met.

   He chuckles with me. Ah. So he was joking. "But, for real, all jokes aside, I'm not mad at you. Or even weirded out by what you said. In fact, I'm flattered."

   Wait, what?

   "You're...not..?" I ask slowly. I can't believe it. Other people would be super weirded out if Arin said the same thing about them.