Chapter Five

Soon after Alex leaves, I receive another text from William. This time he keeps it short and sweet.

I love you.

I immediately send one back.

Love you, too.

I then see

...

He has more to say. I wait, but then nothing. This is driving him crazy. I can't keep doing this to him. It isn't fair. I text back...

Dinner?

and immediately I see...

YES! Where?

Hmm... where? That is a good question. I really don't feel up to a restaurant. I wish to steer clear of the campus just for a little while...

Here? Alex's?

Be there! When?

I know Alex leaves around six and I kind of want him around. Not that I can't handle things with William on my own, but I just feel calmer when Alex is near. Besides, my curiosity about these two is peaked and what better way to take my mind off of my own problems than to meddle in theirs.

5 pm?

See you then.

I hope Alex doesn't mind. I figure since they are such good friends, it should be okay. Taking inventory of what Alex has in his pantry, I realize he wasn't kidding about not having much in the way of food.

I take my car to the local market. Being pregnant puts my journalist's research skills to the test. The amount of do's and don'ts when you're pregnant is simply astounding.

Take food, for example. I mourn when I read no raw fish. I love sushi. Certain deli meats are iffy, there go my hoagies for lunch. The ultimate downer, no caffeine. How does a college student survive the trenches of academia and all-night study sessions without caffeine?

"You better appreciate this, little one," I murmur as I add a bag of decaf coffee into my cart. I am nearly done when I realize I have forgotten the vitamins. I stand, staring at the containers, not knowing which I should choose.

"Cat? Is that you?"

I spin on my heels and find myself face to face with Jenny, a perky little blonde from my sorority who, for reasons I don't understand, wants to destroy me. Okay, maybe that's a little harsh. I just don't remember signing up for whatever competition she believes we are in.

I try to smile, but I know it's fake. "Jenny, how are you?"

She gives me those air kisses on each cheek, and I have to resist the urge to roll my eyes.

"Me? I'm fabulous as always." She suddenly gets this sad puppy dog look. "More importantly... how are you doing?"

I am about to speak, but she cuts me off.

"You've been missing so much time lately. Are you well? I heard some guy tell Professor Jalowetz that you have the flu, poor baby. The girls and I are, of course, worried about you. Funny, finding you here?" She waves to encompass the whole of the food market.

"Well, sick or not, I still have to eat," I say, having a hard time keeping the sarcasm out of my voice.

By the girls, I know she means the girls at Chi Omega, the sorority for which I am the president. Jenny has always coveted that position. However, she's not well liked, mostly because she is the biggest gossip in school. She'd be salivating right now if she knew what juicy story I am currently keeping under wraps.