Chapter Forty-Three

I'm lying in bed and I feel something soft caress the side of my face and get the smell of roses beneath my nose before I recognize the softness of petals against my lips. I awake and open my eyes to see Alex sitting next to me on the bed and he's holding one perfect pink rose.

"Happy Valentine's Day, Cat!" he says, smiling down at me.

I push myself up in bed and take the rose from him and breathe in its scent once more. "Thank you! It's so pretty."

"I know it sucks that we have classes today, which unfortunately means we are going to spend most of today apart, but I want you to start your day off right," Alex tells me.

I smile. "Well, the rose is nice," I say, "but if you're really interested in starting my day off right then what I really, really want is this..." I put my hands around his neck and pull him towards me in order to kiss his lips.

After a minute or two, he pulls away, wearing a sexy grin. "Your ideas are always better than mine." And I giggle.

"I wish we had time for more, but if we plan to get to class this morning on schedule, we got to get a move on things," Alex informs me.

I make a pouty face and he laughs. "What would you like to do tonight?"

I raise my eyebrows at him, along with a suggestive grin. "Besides that," Alex says, shakes his head at me. "I didn't want to make reservations for us to go out to eat in case you preferred to make something here."

"Well, I'd love to make all your favorite foods for you today but if you'd rather go out we can."

"Turning down your cooking for an overcrowded restaurant where we probably won't be able to hear each other talk to one another on Valentine's Day does not sound like a very logical choice."

"Well, then why did you ask?" I wonder.

"I didn't just want to assume your plan was to cook. You may have wanted the day off, in which case, I'd be happy to oblige, but if you're making the offer..." Alex says with a grin.

"Okay, then eating here is our plan."

"Alright but I already made us breakfast." And I frown at him, "Sorry, I wanted to surprise you and I wanted to give you the chance to sleep in."

"What time is it?"

"We have about an hour before class starts," Alex informs me.

"Wow, I really have slept in late," I say with surprise, as I am usually the early riser out of the two of us.

"Well, I feel a little guilty as I haven't been letting you get a lot of sleep lately."

"Do you hear me complaining?" I ask, and he smiles and shakes his head no.

"Well then, don't worry about it."

"I know, but you're growing a baby. You need your rest." The guilt clearly showing on his face.

"I'm fine. In fact, the way you make me feel, I can't imagine trading a second of our time together." Alex kisses me again, and I sigh happily. "See, you are so much better for my mental health than sleep," I say, giving him a huge smile.

Alex laughs. "Come on." He stands up and holding out his hand to help me up. "Get dressed and meet me out there," he says, nodding his head towards the living room.

"Okay." He disappears through the door. I don't linger today. I quickly dress so that I can join him. When I open the door, I see an arrangement of beautiful flowers that he obviously took the rose from sitting on the coffee table, along with a card for me.