Chapter 1

Her mother told her a lot of things. Like how her actions may have long-term consequences, honesty is the best policy, or, perhaps, how she should wait for at least 30 minutes after a snack before getting back into the water. Most of her incessant tangents seemed random; Mae never truly understood what they meant. She always assumed it was because her mom knew all in the world. But now, as she sat in her seat one final time as an elementary schooler, pondering the height and enormity of the desks at the high school she would soon be attending. This reflection dug up somewhere in her distant memory an oft-repeated quote her mom said quite often:

Enjoy your time in school, because it goes by fast. In the blink of an eye, you'll be an adult.

Being frank for a moment, she was acutely conscious of her fleeting youth. Therefore, she always brushed it off with some uninterested reply. She didn't understand how time could go "fast" when everyone is experiencing their life at the same pace. However, as she patiently waited for the bell to set them free, she solemnly swore that yesterday was her first day of 8th grade. She couldn't believe today was her last. High school was right around the corner for her to take head-on. Her mother was right, as usual.

Every few minutes, in the rush of anticipated boredom, she side-glanced at the clock. It was doing the same thing every time she looked: ticking tauntingly. With a sigh, she turned and surveyed the room before her. Students that she spent all these years with filled plastic seats; they shared a room together for the final time. Everyone talked amongst themselves about the vacation ahead of them, and the plans they had in store. Others signed yearbooks or had their phones tucked under the desk where the teacher couldn't see them. However, she was sure the teacher could care less, for it was his last day as well. Other than the small worksheet present on her desk, and the annual classroom cleaning, they had nothing to do.

"Would you like to sign my yearbook, Mae?" A gentle voice rippled through her trance.

Mae curiously raised her eyes and spotted Wendy-the infamous girl who had gone through an emo phase half-way through the school year. In the midst of her imagination, she didn't see her come. She looked down at Mae with an inquisitive stare, her pastel blue ringlets curled above her exposed freckled shoulders. Unlike what a few believed, she thought the odd color suited her, and momentarily wondered if she would look good in a different hue.

"Oh, sure," Mae pulled herself up in the chair. She dropped her hands from the table and quietly watched Wendy set the book down on the polished desk. She played with the pink marker that was given to her in thought.

As she uncapped it, the sweet smell of ink-filled her senses with ineffable delight. She glanced at Wendy. "What high school are you going to?" she inquired with curiosity. The pen squealed against the glossy paper as she wrote the common, yet respectful farewell that was normally given in this kind of situation:

I hope you have a nice summer! :)

❥ Mae Johnson

"Some stupid private school in Florida," The other female replied with a distinct whine that reminded Mae of a disc grinder. The blue-haired girl exuded a contumacious air.

"Sounds fancy."

"It sounds awful." She corrected and crossed her arms loosely over her chest. A frown curved along with the shape of her round cheeks. "My parents think it's the best thing for me, but I don't know anybody in Florida."

Mae set the pen down. She, after giving it some consideration, didn't know Wendy much beyond her name and meaningless scandal; she was known as the cringey emo chick around the school. "You're beautiful and sweet. I'm sure it won't be a problem for you."