Chapter 4

"S.R. 2," Mae repeated under her breath. With quick steps, she followed the flow of students that traveled across the street, where another school building was located.

"I am not sure if you noticed, sweet cheeks, but you have said that 5 times now. I am absolutely positive that repeating it will result in disappointment. It's not telling you where to go, and I'm afraid you've become a nuisance," Vladimir pointed out with irritation from his place on her shoulder.

Mae wanted to be indignant. But, she had learned that even with his lack of compassion, the demon was usually correct. He was crude, and perhaps a little too honest, but he seemed to know what he was doing. Unfortunately so. He had more leeway, in this, so much so where the high schooler was concerned. He could say—he could do—anything he wished for. The little creature didn't listen to her; whatever authority she had was stripped from her.

"You should ask someone before you're late," he punctuated the suggestion with a little more strength.

She looked at the people around her. They surrounded her and spoke on about classes she didn't have. They went about their lives without her in it, talking about people she didn't know. Events she never thought of attending. She felt like a mouse among these upperclassmen. Giants stood among her, where they walked with strong strides. She could barely keep up with most of them. It was a huge change from her time in elementary school. She was no longer at the top of the food chain. She was much smaller than every senior that stood among her and, therefore, she was labeled their prey. Anxiety's cold fingers dug into her shoulders and she faltered. "No, I can find it myself," She whispered in determination.

His shoulders slumped impatiently, "because that's working out so-o well."

The remark was answered with a frustrated huff. He sure had an answer for everything. Instead of walking aimlessly about the campus, she decided to follow another student from behind—way behind, his pace greatly outmatched hers. She had heard him mention biology class to his friend when they had crossed the street. The silence that brewed between demon and human was almost paradise. Unfortunately, everything else was loud. Vladimir continually moved about her shoulder as he looked this way and that. There were times when he would pull her hair or tug at the rim of her ear. He was like a toddler that was just brought to a playground for the first time.

She found her destination obliquely through the boy she had followed. It was a spacious room. Inside, posters of membranes and viruses were posted on the walls. Former projects from past students were stored neatly in wood cabinets for display. On the right side of the room, black marble-topped lab tables were seamlessly attached to the tiled floor. Sinks with an odd faucet and white microscopes accompanied them. Old metal stools were pushed in the spaces under the table. There was enough space for several groups to move about. On the left, tile bled into the grey carpet. Regular student desks were lined up in an orderly fashion. A plastic skeleton was hung on a rack by the door. A black fedora was placed on the skeleton's bald head, a large, purple, pirate-like feather poked out from the leather band.

"Welcome. Take whatever seat is open," The teacher said kindly from her desk when Mae stepped in. She had rust-colored hair that tumbled over her shoulder in full curls. Light makeup dusted her vibrant green eyes. Blood red lipstick painted the curve of her lips. Her skin, richer in color, was dark and smooth like deep-forest wood. She wore a long skirt she couldn't run in. She was young—or at least young-looking—and knowledge lined her palms.

Mae abided her request with a simple nod. She picked an empty seat in the back, where nobody—except for the teacher—could see her unless they made an effort. Once she got comfortable in the rather uncomfortable seat, Vladimir was quick to leave her side. When the weight lifted from her shoulder, Mae looked up. She caught him, soaring far over the students' heads. He began to explore the uncharted room that was just as unfamiliar to him as it was to her. With the inability to yell at him, in fear that everyone would think she was demented, Mae watched the demon intently. It wasn't her fault she could see something everyone else could not.