8. Cool Kids

Ashton’s POV

I walked out of the back door without anyone catching me. I really am considering just fucking leaving. Luke’s got his boy toy back and what am I left with, nothing. I walked to my car and got in. I pulled my phone out and called Michael. The phone rang twice before I heard the same groggie noise on the other line. It’s past 12 and he still hasn’t woken up. Figures. “Hello?” He said. 

“Hey, Mikey. I’ve got a question. Can I crash at your place for a few days. I need to get away for a while.” I sighed. 

“Yeah sure. You’ll have to sleep on the floor or the couch if that's cool with you.” God, that couch is like sleeping on a pile of bricks. Or nails, but the floor is disgusting and hard wood and I don’t want to be uncomfortable.

“Yeah that’s fine. I’ll see you in 20.” I hung up and started the car before anyone saw me out here. 

I went to my house first before heading to Michael’s. I had to leave a note for my mum or else she’ll call the cops. I needed to email my coach that I was going to be gone for a few days because of a family emergency. Yeah that’ll work. I went up to my room, grabbed a hand full of clothes and shoved them in a bag, and put my varsity jacket on. 

I wouldn't be in my room for a while so I decided to look around at the place for remembrance and comfort. The memories I tried so hard to forget. When I had a bad dream my… dad would come in and tell me a story that would put me back to sleep. Then I woke up the one morning and he wasn’t anywhere. Guess my dream wasn’t just a dream. It was my reality. 

Screw the guy. I never needed him anyway. Mum’s better off to be honest. She’s more independent, I guess you could say. Dad always pressured her and she was whipped for the sake of us kids, but she soon found someone and I guess they're doing okay. I hope so, he seems really nice from all I’ve heard from Harry and Lauren. 

I got in my car and pulled out of the driveway. I headed towards Michael’s and I couldn’t help, but think if this was the best option. 

I feel like all I ever do is run away from my feelings just so I don't have to deal with them. 

As my car pulled up to Michael’s house I started to think about the fight that happened with Luke. Maybe I was too rough on him. I mean he kind of deserved it going back to Zayn like nothing even happened. I think that Luke will always be in love with Zayn but he will look past the abuse and only see what he wants to see. I got out of the car and headed into Michael’s house.

“Really Michael. I swear, every time I come over here you’re passed out drunk on the floor.” I said once I walked through the door. He was laying half on the couch, half off and I couldn’t help, but laugh. He’s always been like this and it’s quite amusing. I threw a pillow at him to see if he’d wake up, but he didn’t even budge. “Michael fucking Clifford, wake up you drunk bastard!” I yelled. He flickered his eyes and winced at the sunlight and adjusted himself so he was completely on the couch. 

“Hey Ashton, what’s up?” He said with his morning, raspy voice. He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand and yawned. He was shirtless and his hair was sex-y. I bet in about 3 minutes a girl will walk through his bedroom doors with his shirt on. 

“God, Michael how much did you drink last night?” He drank so much I could smell it on his breath. 

“I lost count after 5.” He got up from the couch and went to the kitchen and poured himself a bowl of cereal even though it’s lunch time. 

“Michael every time you drink you lose count you dumb ass!” I laughed at him. He rolled his eyes and headed back to his spot on the couch. I took a seat next to him and turned the TV on. The girl that had walked in a few minutes ago sat next to him and laid her head on his shoulder. I wish I had a love like there's even if it was a one night stand. Great, now I was thinking of Luke. I wish he was here to lean his head on my shoulder or tell me how his day was at school. I wish he was here to talk to me because I’m stressed and lost, but instead he was out with his boyfriend who is probably thinking of ways to hurt him as we speak. No don’t think like that Ash. Luke’s probably happy. He at least seemed happy when he was kissing that prick this morning! God probably after we kissed he went back to Zayn and made out with him. 

I will never understand why I fell for him in the first place. I had everything going for me until Luke came into my life. I swear from now on I won’t think or do anything with Luke. He’s happy now and I guess that was something I could never do. 

Luke’s POV

After Ashton stormed off I didn’t see him for the rest of the day. Was he avoiding me or was he just being a ass and skipping the day. Whatever the reason was it kept bothering me all day. I wanted to talk to him, but clearly he didn’t. 

“Luke?” Zayn asked and I was brought back to reality. I looked at him and furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and he clearly took that as ‘he wasn’t listening so lets repeat.’ “There’s a gathering at this guy’s house that I met and I want you to go, please?” 

“I don’t know Zayn.. I really am not in the mood to party.”        

“Please Luke. It’s a few people and that’s it. Just a couple games of cards maybe some drinks and maybe if we play our cards right it could be a great night for you.” He said before gently putting his lips on mine for a few seconds.

“Fine I’ll go, but I’m not drinking. Remember last time that happened.” I said and Zayn started laughing at me. 

“Yeah, you stood up on a table and then fell like Scarlet Takes a Tumble.” 

“I know. Alright well I’ll meet you after school then we can go to Michael’s.” I nodded and he kissed my forehead then went to class. 

After school I went to find Zayn and once I did we went to Micheal's. He was playing green day and I was screaming the lyrics to Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Zayn kept laughing at me because I was always like this and I could care less. 

Once we got to his house I ended up having to knock which I was a bit nervous because I never met this guy. I heard the door open and my eyes widened. My breathing stopped and I felt the earth split and all I wanted to do was fall and die. “Luke?”

“Ashton?”