the dreamiest dream

"Rach! Hurry up my brother's gonna be here any minute!" Monica Geller pounded on the door to her best friend and roommate's bedroom soon after a phone call with her brother indicating he would be over soon.

"Almost!" Rachel Green bent down to look at her reflection in the vanity mirror, putting on some pearl earrings that complimented her royal blue strapless cocktail dress and black heels. She had fumbled with the earring for a couple minutes now as she was a mixture of nervous and excitement for tonight. "Okay okay I'm ready!"

"Well it's about time! You took forever in there! Ross was calling to ask if you were ready and—" Monica had diverted her attention from cutting tomatoes to her freshly glammed roommate.

"Thanks." Rachel chuckled upon seeing her expression. "Anyways, he called?"

"Yeah. Asked if you were ready."

"Did he seem excited?" It was as if they were teenagers.

"A little shaky but considering he called every two minutes, I'd bet on it." Cutting her tomatoes, Monica smiled at the nervousness slash excitement of her brother and her best friend. 'We could be sister-in-law!' She thought.

Knock knock. Even the knock sounded nervous.

"He's here Monica!" Rachel twisted her lipstick closed and rushed over to the door, nearly tripping due to her heels.

There he was. Her everything. He wore a nice pair of black dress pants, matching blazer, and a white dress shirt. Ross was in awe of his everything. She had always made him nervous. When your high school first love is now your girlfriend, it just feels like you're floating, as described by the man himself. They greeted each other with a peck on the lips.

"These are for you." Lilies and a smile. Her favorite. She handed the bouquet to Monica, said her goodbyes, and stepped out in the hall. "You look stunning Rach." Ross took both of her hands and kissed them, still in awe of the way she looked. She could have worn sweatpants and messy bun and still look gorgeous but when she dolled up, Ross could admit that she was breathtaking.

"Not too bad your self mister."

~~~

"Honey this is gorgeous! I can't believe you did this." The pair had arrived at a posh restaurant at a pier. Their table was on a private patio, overlooking the ocean. The weather was perfect. Candles and lilies decorated the space. It was warm. Romantic. Classy.

"Happy Anniversary Sweetie." Ross held the side of her face with one hand, tucking her hair behind her ear allowing her pearl earrings to catch the light from the moon and the candle.

"Happy Anniversary."

The night was perfect. They ate and talked nonstop. There was never a dull moment between the two. They talked about anything and everything. Whether it be some geeky museum story or a joke Rachel has heard at work, one listened to the other lovingly as if every word was worth a million bucks.

"I got you something." Ross took his cloth napkin and placed it on top of his cleaned off plate. He bent down to pull out a small red gift bag from under his chair. "For you my love." He pushed his, rather expensive, gift across the table.

"You didn't have to Ross, you already did a lot." Rachel smiled at him. He caught a glimpse of the twinkle in the color of her eyes when the candle light hit them. She pulled out a small black box, tied with a satin ribbon bow. "Oh Honey..." it was a 2 carat diamond pendant on a slim white gold chain. "This is way too expensive."

"Do you like it? You can exchange it. We can go down to the shop tomorrow."

She shook her head. "No Ross. I love it. Thank you." She got up and went over to his side of the table, hugging him from behind. He turned to face her. "I love you."