in a heartbeat

The friends regrouped outside Ross's room while the nurses checked up on him. They each had taken a blood sample and were all praying that at least one of them is a match. They knew very well that being a donor meant putting their life on pause for weeks. However, it had been realized that Ross would do this for any of them in a heartbeat; so they would do this for him.

"So, Doctor, are any of us a match?" It was Chandler that spotted the doctor first this time.

"Well," She turned to Monica. "You two are of the same blood type but since you are blood related and have the same family history, we unfortunately can not risk that." Dr. Moore paused to look at the faces that stared intently at her. After six years of practice, she still found it difficult to talk to family and friends of patients during times like these. "Mr. Geller's blood type is AB-, the rarest blood type there is. None of you, except Monica is a match." Before they had a chance to express their defeat, she continued. "Rachel however, has the blood type O+. The O blood type means that she could donate to anyone regardless of blood type."

"I'll do it." Rachel approached the doctor.

A couple voices chimed in the background. "Rach are you sure?" asked Monica.

Rachel turned to face her. "I have to do this Mon. It has to be me." Monica embraced her. Her best friend would be saving her brother's life. So many years ago she had bet that she would never see Rachel again in her life. But here she is, future sister in-law and giving life to her brother— well, a liver, but same difference.

"Okay it's rather late so I encourage you to go home and get proper rest, you're gonna need it. I assume you're coming tomorrow so we'll talk then." She excused herself from the group.

"Are you gonna tell Ross?" Joey wondered.

"I guess I have to."

"Not that we don't think it's a good idea for you to do this but, I think we all know Ross well enough to say that there is no way in hell he would let you do this," said Phoebe.

"Yeah, you know he'd rather die than let you go under the needle, for him," added Chandler. It was a sad point to think about but it was true. Ross loved her more than life itself.

"You guys, I have to do it. And I'm gonna do it regardless of what he says. I rather have him alive and hating me than him satisfied and dead." The group nodded, realizing no matter what they said, Rachel was going to be his donor. Rachel was going to be saving his life.

"You should go get some rest then. I'll stay here tonight." Monica hugged Rachel again. "Thank you so much Rach." She whispered to her best friend. Rachel said her goodbyes to each of her friends.

"You guys I'm gonna go drop by his room and get my stuff before I go." Still managing to keep her tears at bay, she entered Ross's room to find him sleeping. He looked more peaceful than before. For the first time today, she smiled at him. She watched him sleep for short while, watching the way his chest rose up and down, and how his lips were slightly parted. Rachel sighed happily, placing her hand on top of his, gently rubbing it with her thumb. She rested her head next to his hand, closing her eyes allowing her to savor this peaceful moment.

Ross's eyes slowly opened and landed on the body next to him. The top of her head faced him and with the little strength he had, he placed his hand on her hair, slowly running his fingers through it; something he'd always do when they were a fresh couple. He'd play with her hair while she rested her head on his chest. He'd hold her until they both fell asleep, and he'd play with her hair again when he would wake up before her. Rachel instinctively would have shot up, asking him if he needed something, a habit she had picked up since Ross had gotten diagnosed. Instead, she remained in the same position, enjoying the familiar feeling. "Sweetie you should go get some rest. I know you're tired."

Rachel sat up and turned to face him. "Are you sure you'll be okay here? Monica will stay with you."

He nodded. "I'll be okay honey." She leaned over to kiss his cheek. "Rach?"

"Yeah?"

"Did the doctors say anything?"

Rachel was faced with a decision. She didn't know whether to tell him what really was going to happen or just tell him later. Coming to a decision, she took a deep breath, taking his hand in hers. "Honey..." Her other hand was now on his cheek. "Um. The doctor said you need a liver transplant." Rachel looked at him, searching for a reaction. She couldn't quite tell what he was thinking.

"So what happens now?" His voice was low and his eyes became misty.

"Well, we need to get you a donor. It's only part of your liver so the donor can be living." She talked slow, still carefully planning out each word.

"Who would be my donor?"

She inhaled deeply, before flashing him a small smile. "You're looking at her."

"Y-you can't. Rach I can't let you."

Even though she expects this, she sighed, her smile fading. "Baby I have to do this for you. The doctor says you need a donor within a week or..." Rachel trailed off but Ross knew what she meant.

"It's dangerous Rach you, you can't do this." A lone tear fell down his cheek. He couldn't help but feel guilty. She had sacrificed so much for him and now she wants to have surgery? A part of him knew she'd do it regardless of what he said.

"Ross listen to me, if I don't do this, I will never forgive myself. I won't be able to live with myself. Honey you nearly died and I couldn't do anything. This time, I can do something and I will." Rachel had tears in her eyes now. She watched as he contemplated on what to say next. Ross was stubborn, but she was the queen of having things her way.

He saw it in her eyes. They practically begged him to not argue. This woman had so much love for him. It mirrored what he felt about her; so he understood, the only thing that would hurt more than surgery would be if he died. For that would leave stitches that would never heal. With every last ounce of strength, he sat up to hug her. "I love you so much Rach. Thank you." It was another family feeling, being in each other's arms. They held on to each other tightly, afraid of letting go. The sweet coconut scent of Rachel's hair in a way comforted him. He couldn't believe just how lucky he was. "Okay now you really need to go home and rest." Ross pulled away from her.

"I'll be back early tomorrow, okay?" He nodded, smiling. "Goodnight sweetie, I love you."

"I love you so much honey. Goodnight to you and Emma."

~~~

Sooo I have I think around 4 more chapters left plus an epilogue. And I'm hella happy that I'm able to update like a LOT. I've just been feeling it recently yk? Anyways, hope you enjoyed!

Btw, next chapter won't be really eventful it's just focusing on Rachel (maybe Monica too, I haven't decided yet).

Love y'all x
YG