the great unknown

"Chandler, shhhh! I finally got the kids to take their nap." Monica silently scolded her husband for knocking over a candle, making a rather loud noise as it hit the hardwood floor.

"Sweetie, relax, the kids are heavy sleepers. The roof could fall and they'd start snoring."

"Okay but if—" The tone of the doorbell interrupted Monica, prompting them both to ascend down the stairs to great the couple.

"Hey guys! Be quiet cause the kids just fell asleep." Chandler was the first to welcome in Ross and Rachel, followed by Monica who led them to the dining table they sat around earlier in the day. The air began to tighten as they sat around the table, dreading the conversation about you-know.

"So uhh..." Monica started, clearing her throat. "How did it go?"

Rachel sighed audibly which was not at all a good sign for Monica and Chandler. Ross's head dropped down, feeling defeated. He felt his fiancé rub circles on his back with one hand and squeezed his hand with the other. He struggled to find words, hoping that they would get their answer from the silence.

"E-everything's okay, right?." Monica was not having it. She needed a straight forward answer. "Ross?" She begged him with her eyes. Giving up, she turned to her best friend. "Rach?"

Ross lifted his head up to lock his teary eyes with Rachel's, giving her a look that begged her to give Monica the answer she was looking for. She curled her lips inward, trying to find the words to begin. Uttering those words would be painful but she was determined to do this for him. A small act, too difficult for Ross to do himself. "The cancer is back." Rachel's voice was hushed but Monica and Chandler heard clearly, caused their expression to drop. "And it spread to his liver."

Monica had felt her heart drop. It seemed as if her blood rushed through her veins and stopped abruptly, like one of those thrill rides. Chandler took notice of his wife's state. Just like Rachel, he knew he had to continue for the sake of his partner. "So what now?"

"I don't know." Ross whispered, feeling the tears stream down his face.

~~~

"The end! Did you like that story Princess?" Ross asked his daughter, who was curled up on his side with her head on his chest.

"I did." Rachel smiled from her stance at the doorway of her daughter's bedroom. Despite the news they had received today, Ross still managed to put on his brave face for the sake of their daughter. It was one of the things Rachel both loved and hated about him; that he always put others before himself.

"Mommy!" The little girl held her hand out to her mother. She walked over to her daughter and laid next to them in Emma's bed that was fairly large for someone her age.

"Did you have fun today at Auntie Monica and Uncle Chandler's house today, Baby?" Rachel asked her daughter, lovingly brushing her hair away from her face.

"Yeah! Auntie Monica made cookies!" Emma suddenly remembered why she had been in her aunt and uncle's house in the first place. "Daddy, are you sick?"

The three sat up against the headboard, Emma watching her parents eye each other. Rachel normally would have given him a look, helping him decide what to do next. But this time, she was the one that didn't know what to do. Ross nodded at his daughter, giving her an answer.

"That's okay. Because Mommy can make soup and you'll get better, Daddy! Mommy always makes soup for me when I'm sick and then I'm all better! Right Mommy?" The five-year-old innocently smiled at her parents, happy to have thought of a solution for her father's sickness.

"Um, Princess, I don't think that will work this time."

"Why Daddy?"

Ross eyed Rachel once again, looking for reassurance. She nodded at him and rubbed his shoulder. "Because I have something called cancer. Do you know what that is Em?" She shook her head. "Daddy's gonna be sick for a long time Princess." Ross stroked his daughter's cheek, keeping a sad smile on his face.

"Are you gonna die, Daddy?" Her face had a sad expression now, her big brown eyes filled with worry. He grew silent, a single tear falling down his face. Ross knew the answer. Maybe. He just couldn't find the strength to tell his daughter that.

"Baby girl, Daddy's not gonna die. He's just gonna be sick for a long time; but he will get better. That's why you have to be a good girl so you can help me take care of Daddy. Cause in this family, we help each other." Rachel's words comforted Ross more than Emma. She had never failed to amaze him. Even in this crappy world, she was the only one who could turn it into paradise. He could tell her words weren't just some script to avoid scaring their daughter. Rachel meant those words. She really means it when she says that he's not going to die and that he'll be taken care of. Ross knew he was in good hands, at least for this moment.

Tomorrow was a another day.

~~~

So so sorry the update is later than I expected! Thinking of adding some kind of plot twist or character to the story??? I haven't completely decided yet but next chapter will be out soon.

Feedback appreciated :)) x
YG