I

"Your Majesty, I have some... problematical information to declare," said the Royal Court's advisor, Beckett Wensly. After an argument with himself last night, he decided it would be best if the king knew. Just in case this Shadow Princess attempts to attack the home of many innocent people. But he was to not reveal all the details. The one detail that would tear the king apart.

That would stay between him and the prince.

King Arthur Everard moved away from his paperwork and turned to his advisorwith a frown. "What is it Wensly? I'm rather busy at the moment!" Heshifted the papers, seated at his throne.

Wensly swallowed. "My king, there is a new threat to the kingdom." Atthat, Arthur dropped his papers to the ground in surprise. He stared at the manin shock, unable to contain his thunder. His inner lion sprung up.

"Oh damn it! Who the hell is this new threat? Is he anothermurderer?"

The poor man shuffled from foot to foot, unsure what he could say that wouldnot anger the king.

"Your Majesty, it's an assassin... one that says they want revenge."

He sighed profusely, picking up his forgotten paperwork. "As if I haven'tgot enough killers in my life.... What is his name?"

"Um... her name is Andria Apex, more known as the Shadow Princess."

The king stood up from his throne, leaving his papers sprawled out on the floorand the throne. He paced back and forth on the carpet while Wensly watched himwith concern, trying to keep an emotionless expression on his face.

Arthur started coughing violently. His hands shook and his face turned red ashe attempted to hide the drops of blood slipping from his mouth.

He reached out shakily for a small wooden cup on the arm of his throne.Swallowing its contents, the king looked over to the man standing in front ofhim, watching with sadness.

"Who the what now?"

Wensly bit his tongue to avoid letting out a smart comment and took severaldeep breaths before repeating.

"The Shadow Princess, as she goes by. Feared by the Mafia themselves.Queen of Death. The Black Sword. Leader of Assassins. Fear of the Unknown.

"She is the heir to the throne of her kingdom, which is um... alsocurrently unidentified. But we know she has an army of assassins at herdisposal and will stop at nothing until her goal is attained."

Arthur watched a small spider crawl on the corner of the throne room, not daringto look back to the alarmed man in front of him. He knew the answer to thequestion he had not yet asked. However, if the gods were merciful they wouldgrant him a blessed death, rather than murdered by an enemy of the throne.

"Her goal... is to eliminate you, my king."

Silence. Arthur knew it was coming. Nonetheless he didn't expect his daughterto come running into the throne room.

"Father! I need to ask you something! It's imperative you hear me!"She cried out, as she was catching her breath. Her blonde hair was falling outof its braid, but it only made her look more beautiful. As beautiful as hermother.

"Yes, Athena?"

"A medic has arrived! He claims he knows of your ailment and requests anaudience with you."

"Send him in Athena. Wensly, be off with you, and do not speak a word ofthis to anyone." Wensly nodded his head in agreement before departing forthe throne room. Athena sauntered out quickly with a swish of her skirts.

{~~♡~~}

"Your Majesty," started the young man, bowing at the foot of theking's throne. "I believe I have the information of your illness that youhave not yet acquired."

Arthur was intrigued by this man who thinks he can save the life of a king."I'm listening."

"My Lord, there has been a new disease that has been inflicted upon mykingdom. I have managed to escape before it infected me, but I have named thislung infection," the man stopped for a pause. "I have named it cancerof the lung."

The king stared thoughtfully at him. "And what is your name?"

"Percivall Pott, your Majesty."

{~~♡~~}

After the man had left, Arthur marched to Prince Caspian's bedchamber. Hebelieved that it was important for his son to be aware of the dangers he faced.The king knew that he wouldn't live to see his child on the throne, but he hadaccepted his fate long before Caspian and Athena had come of age. Back when thelove of his life was murdered. His heart was torn in two, he thought hecouldn't go on in life. He had been inflicted with many illnesses that hebelieved would end his life before he got to see his children grow up. Lastwinter, he had developed an unknown lung disease, which nobody in the land wereable to identify.

Percivall Pott had given him what he wanted to know for so long, but it didn'tmake him feel any different. In fact, it made him feel even more frightened andconcerned about this...cancer, about the Shadow Princess, about his children'swelfare, and the condition of his kingdom once he passed on.

Bursting the door open, Arthur came across Caspian looking over a file. Lookingup, the prince's eyes widened in shock before tucking the file under his coversand standing up. The king was unaware of the secret his son seemed to behiding.

"Casper, a man came into the throne room earlier today. He stated that myillness was discovered to be called lung cancer. A- a fatal disease,Casper..." Arthur looked crestfallen as he watched the emotionlessexpression visible on his face.

"Father, as much as it hurts, we already knew that there was no cure. Youneed to accept that finally."

"What happened, Caspian? Why do you act so hostile to me?"

"I've already recognized it. Athena told me we had to be strong and admitit."

"Fine then. What about this...Shadow Princess? What have we gained?"

The prince tensed suddenly. He was never good at telling lies, Athena said. Hedidn't want to stay in the same room as his father, for fear of spilling thehorrible secret. The secret that would shatter him.

"Wensly has the information, Father. I'll go and get it, shall I?" Heraced out of the room.

{~~♡~~}

Speeding through the hallways of the castle, Caspian threw open the doors ofthe dining hall.

Stood near a portrait of the prince, Wensly was taking notes on a clipboard,but as he heard the sound of the doors slamming into the wall with such force,he dropped the quill he was holding, in astonishment.

Prince Caspian stormed over to the cowering man, looming over himthreateningly. "My father came to me, and spoke to me! What did you say tohim?!"

Wensly was shaking fearfully, "S-sorry Your Highness. I-I only told myking of the small details. As we have k-kept it, the largest pr-problem staysbetween us and the c-castle guards." The prince took another breath beforemoving away. He stared at the picture of himself on the wall, imagining thetime when it would be his turn to wear the crown of his ancestors.

"My father, he knows his odds of survival,"

"Do you mean.... his disease?" whispered Wensly in a low voice. Itwas no secret to the royal court, however it was worrying to think of what mayhappen.

"Yes. His condition is worsening every day and the medic believes-"Prince Caspian broke off, closing his eyes. "He has a 23% chance ofsurvival Wensly. Less than half. He has 3 weeks until....he.... may pass on.His absence will mean I must gain the throne and the crown.

"But this Shadow Princess intends to slay the king. If she comes, I mostlikely will be the monarch. Meaning she comes to kill me. Who will take thecrown? I have no heirs and my sister is unfit to rule. What will I do?"

Wensly stammered, "My lord, I am only a humble servant of the court. I cannot possibly-"

"I need an answer. I need it now."