Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Home

Ferya glanced up at the darkening sky as she hurried along the sidewalk towards her building. Tonight, like the last few nights, she had been kept late as if the hours extra she was working would make up for the nine minutes she had missed that night when Lucifer had approached her. She didn't want to know what would have happened to her if she had told her boss the reason for her leaving early. The beating had been bad enough as it was, it hadn't lasted long. A vampire didn't take long to injure a human but with every slam into the wall or hit, or hard grasp, she had been told that she would be feeding Vialen's coven and the fear had been the worst part of it.

As a result, Vialen had kept the fear going long after the attack had stopped, giving her tasks that could only be done once the store was closed, sending in people to keep her open longer than she should have been. Vialen made sure she lived in fear of everything, not just the vampire owner of the store she depended on to keep herself alive. A homeless human was a dead human, which solved the problem of homelessness quite efficiently.

Her pay had been docked on top of the physical and emotional abuse. Reduced enough that she would soon need to survive on a single meal a day if she wanted to continue affording rent. But at least she could still afford rent and Vialen didn't hold her so long that it was impossible to get home before dark. Vialen wasn't trying to actually kill her.

It was just extremely close. She'd rather be hungry than dead.

Ferya shivered as she turned the last corner, her building down at the end of the long street, though she paused where she was when she saw the building that was where hers had been. Gone were the heavy metal bars and doors, replaced with brand new siding in the upper levels and thick, tinted glass on the bottom floor. The whole building looked like it had been completely rebuilt since she had left that morning. It was sleek and seamless, the apartment windows darkened to the point that it was hard to tell them from the building siding.

Ferya paused long enough to make sure that she had turned down the right street, before she had to hurry across the pavement as the streetlights began to flicker on and the sounds of buildings locking down began to echo around her.

She stumbled to a stop at the front door, seeing two demons standing in her way, arms crossed over their chests, their dark blue skin shimmering in the last of the fading light. The female grinned a sharp toothed smile at her, raising a curious brow. "And who are you?"

Before the other one could possibly suggest that she was merely dinner, Ferya nodded to the building. "Ferya. I... my apartment..."

She struggled, knowing she had no last name to give, that having been lost while she was an orphan. She had never needed one before, barely anyone had ever asked for her name at all.

"Five twelve." The woman nodded and shifted out of the way, pulling the door open for her and waving her onwards. "Welcome home."

"But..." She blinked a couple times in confusion, looking between the demons and the now open door. "Where did you come from?"

"Why are we guarding the door?" The female chuckled softly, offering a shrug. "New owner hired us as protection. Not that anyone would be stupid enough to harm anyone that lived under Lucifer's protection. But, just in case someone doesn't think he's serious about his investment, we're here."

"Whole building has been renovated." The male finally spoke up, nodding into the lobby beyond the door. "He's promised us a Coffee shop, for anyone who behaves well, open all night. Most of the coffee shops are on human hours... we never get any..."

Ferya glanced down to the box in her hands, which contained the small selection of leftovers that had been left upon closing. "Oh. Would you like these? I work at one..."