Stain X HeroReader | Romantic Night For Two

The sky sobbed thick sheets that pounded against the ground, coating it and nearly flooding the streets. A streak of lightning ripped through the thick black clouds, branching along the sky, and illuminating the area for a few seconds at a time. The sound that accompanied the blue streaks in the clouds, could be compared to kitchen pots tumbling to a hardwood floor. This storm was forcing the drains to work overtime. The thought of that made you smirk, and then snicker as bubbly laughter lifted from you. You were exhausted beyond words, and with good reason. You were a pro hero, one that took your work to heart. You often threw caution to the wind, as if there was even a chance you'd save someone from dying, or getting hurt, then at that moment, your life meant nothing. This meant that you often overworked yourself, and today just happened to be one of those days. 

You had woke up on Tuesday morning at 5:00 a.m. and went through your morning routine before leaving promptly at 6:00 a.m. to start your day working the best job you've ever had, in your opinion. On the off chance that someone kept you from working how you liked, you would go back home around 8 o'clock or 9 o'clock at night. Normally, however, you would stay out for many hours and often would only return home when completely exhausted. It was currently 11:36 p.m. on Wednesday night. You haven't slept any and for good reason. You were trying to catch the famous Hero Killer. He had come to town, for the third time. He had been spotted and it boggled everyone. He never returned to a city after leaving, and yet, he had returned three times to this city. You weren't certain why, but you were determined to try and catch him, to put an end to his tyranny. It wasn't that you were only looking for Stain. You also helped those who needed you while looking, after all, a narrow-minded hero is an inefficient hero. 

Looking around at the gloomy landscape once more, you looked up at the overhang you were perched under. You had been sitting here for... how long now? You weren't sure. Your head felt heavy and your thoughts were foggy. This was no condition to fight in. Begrudgingly you pulled your phone out to text your superior, inform them you were finally heading in for some well-needed rest. [Heading home. If anyone sees him, I want to know.] You sent the text and watched as a few texts rolled in, scolding you for staying on duty for nearly 42 hours. Ignoring him you turned your phone off and sighed before shoving your phone into one of your pockets. It was no secret you worked until you were burnt out and couldn't think straight. This is one of the reasons you barely made C-List ranking. 

You planted your palms against the gritty brick you were sitting on, and push your body up before leaping off the ledge, falling a short distance of four feet. Now that you were on the sidewalk you glanced up and down the road and rolled your shoulders before heading off in the direction of home. There were still people on the streets at this time of day, not as many as there would be around 9 o'clock or earlier, but still enough to cause you to be wary. You expertly avoided those in your path, thankfully no one really wanted anything from you, being such a low-ranking hero and all.

The apartment complex had five levels and was guarded by a security guard in the lobby, a pretty heavy security system, and a security office with two officers on each level as there are twelve small apartments, that could hold maybe a family of three, on each level. Not to mention it was all relatively gated. However, the security systems for each apartment were individual, and you had turned yours off for two reasons. One, you live on the top floor and was fairly certain no one would really want to break into your apartment because there's nothing of interest to steal, besides maybe your tv and game system. And two, you sometimes came in so beaten up that you didn't want to worry anyone by going through the lobby so you'd get in through the fire escape. There was also a perimeter wall with a gate that was there mostly for show. 

Once you made it to the building you ducked under the overhang to the main door before typing in the key code and entering the building as the door unlocked. The key code changed every three months, to ensure everyone was safe. After entering the main lobby you ran a hand through your [H/L][H/C] hair, being absolutely soaked now you had little intention on staying in the lobby for long. Looking over to the small room to your right, you gave a slight wave to the security officer. The man was one of four that rotated through the day and sat in the locked office room with only a plexiglass window between the lobby and them. There was a circular grate a few inches from the countertop. There was a drop bin in the counter, built like that of a drive-thru pharmacy bin. Only one side could be opened and accessed at a time, meaning you had to drop something in and then close it for it to be opened and accessed on the other side. This minimized contact between the guard and anyone coming to get or send mail. This system also worked for small storage items, each person had their own little lock box in the room where they could store things down near the front door, like if you didn't realize it was raining and needed an umbrella but didn't want to go all the way back to your apartment to grab one. There it was, you just had to hand the key over and ask for the item you needed.