41

Harry didn't know how to react when a pair of caged beasts was presented to him like some sort of gift. They were currently inside one of the practice rooms, except its floor-to-ceiling windows were locked with its curtains closed.

"Wha—how did you capture them?" Harry asked wildly, turning to Louis who was watching him.

Louis looked almost reluctant. "I, uh. It wasn't me. Benedict had it all arranged and had his men find them. I was just the one who happened to mention it to him."

"Oh."

Harry stared at the two beasts while Louis nervously chewed at his lip. Harry turned to look at Louis, who immediately avoided his gaze and looked at the ground.

"You aren't mad, are you?" Louis asked.

Harry frowned. "Uh, why would I be?"

"Because you hate Benedict and I asked help from him for you which would technically make you owe him something, and maybe you don't really want his help—" Louis said.

Harry actually huffed out a laugh before walking over to him and touching his cheek. "Shut up, you idiot. I'm not mad. It's fine, really, I'm just surprised he really helped."

Louis sighed in relief, nodding. "Yeah. I was surprised too."

After that, Harry wasted no more time and asked Louis to fetch a few vials of the cure from his room, along with Harry's medical kit. Louis quickly did as told, not wanting to leave Harry alone in a locked room with two beasts for so long. When he returned, though, his nervousness was replaced by awe and ease.

Harry was sitting cross legged on the ground in front of the now empty cage. One of the beasts lay its head on his thigh, while the other was nuzzling into his side. Harry was talking quietly with a small, content smile on his face as he ran his fingers through their fur.

"Here you go," Louis said to announce his presence, waving the bag he was holding in front of Harry's face.

"Thanks," Harry said with a smile, but Louis didn't miss the way his lips twitched nervously. "Let's, uh, do it then?"

Louis gave his shoulder a comforting squeeze. "I'll be right here, baby. You're going to do great."

Harry gave him a tight smile before standing up and dusting his jeans. He rummaged through the bag Louis had brought, pulling out a syringe and a vial of the cure. The beasts were milling around, curiously watching them. Harry took a shaky breath.

"C'mere," Harry said as he extended his arm to one of the beasts, who quickly obliged. "Listen, I'm going to inject something into your body, okay? It's—don't freak out, but I made it myself and please trust me that I have good intentions. I want to help cure you."

The beast looked at him with calculating eyes, and Louis had to remind himself that these creatures actually did understand them. Or at least a part of them did.

Harry looked even more anxious now, which was why Louis took his slightly shaking hand and pressed it to his lips. Harry's eyes immediately lit up and lost a bit of its nervousness, smiling at Louis gratefuly. The beast then began nuzzling its head into Harry's leg—which, well, was the best type of confirmation they could get.

Harry went down on his knees and began feeling the beast's back, swallowing visibly as he raised his other hand which was clutching the cure-filled syringe. Harry let out a shaky breath before mumbling incoherently and pressing his lips together in concentration as he began pressing the tip of the needle into the creature's skin.

Louis was at his side the entire time, keeping a firm hand on his waist and pressing up against his side to remind Harry that he wasn't alone in this, and that Louis believed in him. He wasn't sure how his touch alone could accurately convey that, but it seemed to work.