13: Staying Together

"What am I supposed to be doing here?"

Kou muttered under her breath. Her eyebrow twitching in annoyance. The one who is sitting closely behind her, who happened to be Kyohei, heard her silent rants.

"Being a supportive fiancee". He mumbled, voice loud enough for only her to hear.

Her eyebrow twitched again for the nth time. Blue eyes staring at Tahomaru outside who is currently having a sword practice with Hyogo. Mutsu is just standing on the side, watching silently, tending on a bow.

"It's nice hearing that and all but just sitting here and doing nothing is boring, you know".

"You're supposed to be watching Tahomaru-sama". Kyohei explained, then his voice went lower, if possible. "Eri-sama loves watching him practice".

"But then again, I'm not Eri." She said, rising on her feet, not paying heed to Kyohei's silent scolding, she jumped towards the yard much to Mutsu's surprise. Her feet gently landed on the sandy ground, expensive kimono and haori flying in the air momentarily because of her jump.

She stood properly, a small smile on her face.

Alarmed that she have nothing on her feet but her socks, Mutsu immediately fetched her sandals and kneeled to put it on her feet. Tahomaru and Hyogo stopped their spar to take a short break.

"What's wrong, Eri-sama? Is there anything you want?" Mutsu asked when she stood up straight.

"Don't mind me. I just have nothing to do". The young girl answered as she eyed the bow and arrows neatly placed on the side.

Everytime that Eri went to visit Tahomaru in his residence, it was already a common knowledge for all of them that she will spend time together with her fiancee, just like right now. Tahomaru didn't mind it, as long as she's not getting in the way of his practice. Even in the past, Eri just watched him silently with a content expression on her face as she stayed inside, never bothering him with his practice.

"Is this bow yours?" Kou asked, staring at Mutsu and waiting for her answer.

"Yes".

Tahomaru knew that the girl didn't know how to use a weapon. She is too pampered to even wield a bow. There was no need for it when she have many soldiers who are willing to risk their lives for her protection.

So when she suddenly showed an interest in a weapon, he can't help but raise a brow. He was silently observing the female from the corner of his eyes as he drink his water.

"That's rare..." He suddenly spoke, getting on his feet and sitting on the corridor, near her position. "As far as I remember, you don't know how to wield a weapon."

"I don't even remember telling you about my capabilities when it comes to weapons." She answered.

The girl eyed him shortly, silently taking the bow and arrow in her hands. Mutsu was flustered. She also knew that Eri didn't know how to handle weapons, so when the princess suddenly took the bow and arrow, she was torn in between taking the weapon back or letting her do what she wants.

Kou smiled wider, turning her body to face the young man.

"What? Are you getting interested with me now?" She teased, earning a groan from him.

"You wish". He said, looking away with a slight frown.

Not minding his reaction, the girl raised her arms, aiming the sharp arrow head into the center of the target almost 5 meters away from them. Mutsu widened her eyes at Kou's perfect posture as she aimed the arrow while a small gasp just escaped Hyogo's parted lips.