4- Challenger

I heard a loud thud outside of my room. Confused, I opened the door and found Amy curled up in her blanket and on the floor. I tried to suppress the urge to laugh as I bent over to pick her up.

Maybe I shouldn't leave her on the couch, I thought. But then she won't have the fire near her. I'll leave her in my room for now. She can decide where she wants to be when she wakes up.

Carefully, making sure not to hit her on any of the furniture, I moved her into the bedroom and layed her on the bed. As I pulled my arms away, I saw her stir. Panicked, I froze, hoping she wouldn't open her eyes. She didn't, instead she curled herself up into a ball.

She's cute, I thought to myself with a small smile. Then I pulled the blanket over her and quietly left the room.

The snow against the window made the room dim, but looking at the snow itself was blinding. The darkness was a bit depressing. It made me feel uneasy. Pushing the uneasy feeling down, I sat in the couch and leaned my head back so that the fire wouldn't bother my eyes. My head shot up when it had occured to me.

The fire wasnt even burning anymore.

Instincts propelled me to the bedroom. Even before I opened the door, I knew who it was. I could smell his scent distinctively. I pushed the door open slowly, so that he wouldn't be startled into doing something stupid, I entered the room.

"That took you awhile," he said slowly. Chills ran down my spine at the sound of his voice. All of the candles were put out, surrounding the room in complete darkness. Despite the darkness, I could see his eyes very clearly.

I growled softly. "Damien," I said.

He smiled his cruel yet amused smile. "Yes, it is me."

"What do you want?" I asked angrily. "Are you pissed that I stole more food from your precious pack?"

"Actually," he said. "I am." He moved toward Amy and brushed his fingers over her cheeks. I tensed, ready to attack should he do anything else. "You see, Shadow, I was planning on turning this woman. I thought it a fitting punishment after running from her wedding with my son."

So, that was who she was engaged to? A noble. I glanced down at Amy's sleeping figure. Damn, that was a brave move. Perhaps that's why she doesn't talk so much. She has as many secrets as I do.

When I hadn't replied, Damien continued. "My son, Sonic is looking very desperately for his bride. It would be a shame if she isn't found soon."

"Well, I don't think she plans on it," I said sharply.

He clicked his tongue, shaking his head. "You see, now that's where you come in. I need you to send her back as soon as she has healed. Do whatever it takes."

"And why do you think I'd do that?" I asked, bored.

"Because you don't want her mother and sister's death hanging on your conscience, do you?  It's a fitting term, I think. Hanging."

You're going to hang her family? I thought to myself. What do I do? I stared at Damien, the hedgehog that I've hated more than anything in this world. My thoughts raced, and I couldn't quite think straight.

Damien brushed past me and whispered, "Think about it."

Then he was gone. I rubbed my eyes tiredly, unable to gather my thoughts. I decided to light a candle, so that it wasn't so dark in here. I set it on the nightstand, well away though so Amy wouldn't knock it over on accident and then slipped away.

Then I kneeled in front of the fire and brought it back to life. My blood pumped with adrenaline from expecting a fight out of him. No, he's playing a mind game this time. I sat back and wondered if I could meet the challenge. And worried that if I tried, I wouldn't win.

What would I tell Amy? The only thing I think she would care about is her family. She doesn't seem like one to put her wishes above that of her loved one's safety.

I can't tell her anything. Because when it came to Damien, the matter of the pack came with him. And Amy can't find out the type of wild animal he really is.

Or the beast I fought against inside me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Amy's POV-

I felt super comfy. The kind of comfy when you're wrapped up perfectly in a blanket and you just don't want to move.  But then I noticed something. I couldn't hear the crackle of the fire anymore.

Looking up, I saw a candle set over on a nightstand. That was the only light within the room. I looked around at my surroundings and didn't recognize anything, so in a small panic, I wrapped a blanket around my shoulders and limped over to the door.

Pushing it open, I was welcomed with a familiar sight. The tenseness in my body melted away at the sight of Shadow in front of the fire, staring at it intently. It was then that I realized I had been in his room, in his bed.

The thought made me blush.

He didn't seem to notice, and when he didn't offer an explanation after seeing my presence, I spoke. "Um..."

Shadow looked up almost instantly, locking his red eyes with mine. I felt like I had my breath knocked out of me. Trying to steady myself, I forced myself to ask, "Why did you move me to your room?"

He seemed to have just realized how awkward that might have been and rubbed the back of his neck as he explained, "You fell off the couch, so I thought to put you in something a little bigger."

"Oh," was all I replied with. I took a step forward to move toward the couch, but my foot gave out underneath me. I caught my breath in surprised and tensed for impact, but my landing was soft.

Shadow had me in his arms. "Careful," I heard his soft whisper near my ear, sending involuntary shivers down my back. "You can't walk that freely yet."

I nodded my understanding, not trusting myself to speak and let him lead me to the couch. "Would you prefer to be here? Or in the other room?" He asked.

I shook my head really fast. "No, no. Here is fine."

"You sure?"

I nodded, and hung my head, hoping to hide my red cheeks. Could it be because he hasn't spoken to me very often that his voice, er... his presence has this effect on me? I couldn't tell, but I did know that if he saw my face all red, he would ask questions I'd be unable to answer.

After that, he tended to my foot quietly, as usual. Before I had been okay with that, but I guess curiousity was finally getting the best of me.

I opened my mouth to ask him something, but stopped short when he beat me to it.

"What's your family like?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

AN-

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry! I like, completely disappeared on you guys! My phone went wack and I had to get it reset, and I guess I didn't realize that wattpad didn't redownload like my other apps did. Finally, when I get sick of waiting on updates, I realize it's Because I didn't even have the app any more! XD silly me. Blonde moment, no? Anyway, I'm back. Super sorry, guys. And I'll try to update more! Btw, Karlcool, when do you wanna start on our collaberation? Pm me or something :)