6- Foreshadowing!!!

A wolf?! It can't be Shadow though. I looked around for him and found no sight. Maybe it was just a trick of the eye? And what I saw was really a cloak?

I squeezed my eyes shut, willing to to be true, but when I opened them again, there was still a black wolf with red eyes that was attacking the alpha. No way, I tried telling my overactive imagination.

But then I didn't really have much time left to think. The one wolf that had originally planned on leaving came back and jumped at me while he thought I was distracted. I spun round and brought the staff around as hard as I could. The butt of the staff smashed into the canines side, but it only caused him minor pain. He landed on his feet and circled around me. I kept following him, watching carefully.

My hands grew sweaty with my nervousness. I wasn't paying attention to my footing though, and soon slipped and fell onto my back. I shrieked, knowing the immediate danger I was in as I hit the ground. The wolf leapt onto me and I held the staff at his neck. His jaws snapped and he growled over and over again.

This one was super angry. He pushed against me with all of his might and I knew I couldn't hold out much longer. My elbows bent with the effort and he snapped again, nearly missing my nose.

The snow was freezing. My entire body was soaked as I lie there in the snow.

This is it, I thought. I can't get him off of me.

I felt something furry next to me and a black blur attacked the wolf that had me pinned. They tumbled and grappled, trying to get the advantage over the other. I turned back to see what had happened to his other adversary and saw a hedgehog in the snow.

Shadow!

I left the staff behind and stumbled over to the hedgehog, and froze as soon as I recognized who it really was.

Damien.

I pushed myself back, tumbling in the snow in shock and sat there, shaking uncontrollably. What was he doing here? How did he get there?

The crunch of snow caught my attention behind me and the black wolf bowed his head to me. His red eyes standing out against his black fur and the white snow.

Then the wolf was Shadow.

That was no trick of the eye.

He can turn into a wolf. My head spun as I stared up at him with wide eyes. He approached me sheepishly and held out his hands. "We should get you something dry to put on," he said, not looking at me.

Somehow I managed to take his hand and let him pull me up. I guess he understood the type of shock I was in and he supported me all the way to the cabin.

Once inside he let me down onto the couch, where I wrapped the blanket around me and buried my face in its warmth. He disappeared into his room and brought me some loose fitting clothes that he let me get dressed into when he left again.

He came back and sat on the floor in front of the fire, except he was facing me instead. He sighed and rubbed his eyes tiredly.

I shook my head, to Shadow's great surprise. "I think I just need some sleep right now. Give us both time to collect our thoughts." I layed my head down, letting my eyelids drift closed.

I didn't want to make sense of anything at the moment. Honestly, I thought he was sending me home, but after that fight he just dragged me back into his house. I don't get it. Maybe he just doesn't want  me saying anything to anyone? As if anyone would believe me. I saw a hedgehog transform into a wolf! Like a full on wolf!!! Yeah, right.

"Amy," I heard Shadow's voice call out quietly. I opened my eyes to peer at him silently and he whispered, "Thanks."

"Er... You're welcome.... I guess."

The next morning I woke and washed myself up. When I was done and back on the couch, I heard a click and looked up to see Shadow coming out of his room. He looked at me nervously and mumbled, "I suppose it's time to explain."

I shrugged, kind of feeling bad for him to some reason. It must be painful for him to talk about, I suppose. Because he looks so nervous to say anything. "I'm not forcing you into anything," I replied.

He sighed and shook his head. "You're apart of this now, I have to. It's not fair to not tell you."

I remained quiet and followed him with my eyes as he sat down on the floor in front of me.

"You've heard legends of werewolves, right?" He asked tentatively.

Oh geez, those can't possibly be real! I nodded in answer though, allowing him to continue before I said anything.

"They are wolves in the sense that they can switch to a wolf that walks like us, but also into a real one like those outside," he explained anyway. "But what you saw me do, and what you saw Damien do, isn't exactly the same thing."

I had kind of guessed, but remained silent once again.

"We are, what Damien likes to call, werehogs."

I stared at him blankly, not entirely sure how to react. I would probably smile smugly and say, "prove it." But, he kinda, already did.

"Its unnatural," he growled like an animal. "But Damien gets a kick out of it. He tried to turn you that one night, but was unsuccessful. I don't know how, but you're lucky."

I stared down at my hands in my lap, thinking quietly. A scar on my wrist caught my attention.

I might've been apart of this for a long tim

"Damien turned me when I was young," Shadow continued. "I had ran off into the forest and he got me there. Instead of joining his pack, I decided to stay secluded here in the forest."

His tone was quiet now, making me look up. The hedgehog looked terribly sad. My heart wrenched, and I soon found myself sliding to the floor in front of him and wrapping my arms around his neck in a tight hug.

Shadow tensed in surprise, but I could feel him slowly relax and wrap his arms around my waist. He buried his face into my neck and inhaled deeply. "Your scent is really relaxing," he mumbled.

Heat rushed to my cheeks in embarrassment and my chest tightened. Somehow I managed a small laugh and a reply of, "Is that so? What do I smell like?"

"Lavender and chamomile," he whispered.

Shivers ran down my spine, and I couldn't help feeling extremely embarrassed. But I was so comfortable in his arms that I didn't really have the heart to let go.

Shadow sighed and he took hold of my wrists, pulling them away slowly. "Amy, you-" he stopped suddenly, his eyes locked on my wrist. "What's this?"

I followed his gaze to the scar. "A wolf bite, from a long time ago, when I was only a child. Why?"

Shadow visibly paled, making my eyes narrow in confusion. He looked sick. Concerned, I pulled him up to his feet and guided him to the couch. Suddenly he pulled away from me, still standing. "Amy," he whispered.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked, now worried for my own safety as well as his.

"Was it a cub that had done that to you?"

I thought back to when I was younger and had wondered into the woods in search of my friend. Remembering the wolf, I nodded apprehensively. "Yes, I believe it was."

"Oh my god," he whispered, rubbing his face tiredly. "Amy, you'll die soon if that same wolf doesn't turn you into one of us."