9- Oh Crap

"Karley, what are you doing here?" I asked her in confusion.

"Looking for you," she said in a "duh" voice.

Shadow slowly walked up behind me, looking at the two of us curiously.  "Is this your sister, Amy?" He asked in a low voice.

"Ah! Right. Karley, this is Shadow, he saved me from a pack of wolves when I ran away. And Shadow, this is Karley, my little sister." I introduced them to each other.

Karley held her hand out politely with a wide smile. "Nice to meet you, Shadow."

Shadow's eyes narrowed and he frowned at her hand, then his eyes met mine quickly and seemed to change is mind. He took her hand carefully and shook it. "The pleasure is mine," he mumbled.

My little sister frowned at his somewhat unfriendly demeanor. And I rushed to explain in a low voice. "He takes a long time to warm up to anyone."

Karley gave me a small smile in understanding. Then turned a glare on me. "Where have you been!? It's been weeks, and no word?! Nathaniel and I have been worried sick!!" She started yelling.

"Woah, hey!" Shadow cut her off in a hushed voice. "You're gonna attract the very reason she's been stuck with me for so long. Lower your voice."

The young hedgehog stopped, slightly stunned and then looked to me. "What happened to you?" She asked, her voice cracking.

I set a comforting hand on her shoulder and turned over my shoulder to ask Shadow, "Could we go to your cabin?"

His look softened and he nodded. "C'mon, we should hurry, before they show up."

"They? Who's they?" Karley asked.

"There's a lot to explain," I said. "Will you trust me for now and follow us?"

She sighed and nodded.

Shadow stayed behind us as we trudged through the snow. I don't know if it was because he was being antisocial or just being careful and watching over us.

Karley hugged herself and I finally noticed that she was shivering like crazy. As I handed her my coat, four or five different scents assaulted my nose. I glanced around the forest nervously and then my eyes met Shadow's. His face was grim and he gave a me a small nod in confirmation.

The wolf pack was here.

I gripped Karley's arm and she gasped in pain. Then she glared up at me, ready to start yelling at me. I silenced her with a finger to my mouth. I snapped my fingers by me ear twice then covered my mouth with my hand.

When we were little, after Shadow had gone missing as kids, we decided on a code to warn the other of danger. We didn't really take it seriously back then, but now we understood that we really might need it some day.

Her eyes went wide and then she nodded her understanding. She gripped my hand tightly and waited patiently for me to let her know what we were doing. I glanced back at Shadow who pointed the direction of the cabin and mouthed, "Go."

"What about you?" I mouthed back silently.

He pointed at Karley and said, "Go," again.

I sighed and realized he was right. Turning back to the snow covered forest ahead, I ran away with Karley in tow.

Sonic's POV-

I watched as Amy took her sister's hand and bolted away from the black and red hedgehog. My father set a hand on my back and said quietly in my ear, "You see? They left willingly. She wasn't kidnapped. She disobeyed the law, Sonic. They both need to be punished."

I felt torn. I never wanted to marry Amy. But I never wanted to hurt her. I have my heart on someone else.

"Both of them?" I asked. "Even her sister?"

"She aided the woman. They both need to be punished."

Amy's POV-

Karley was keeping up really well. In just a few minutes I was able to make out the cabin. Just then, two hedgehogs emerged from the tree line in front of us. Completely caught unaware, because I didn't catch their scent, I stumbled and pulled Karley with me. She gasped in surprise and fell on top of my back.

I grunted in pain and looked up at the two hedgehogs that appeared in front of us. I think I felt my heart drop into my stomach.

Damien and Sonic.

Karley shot up when she noticed them, allowing me to stand up as well.

"You two are coming with us," Damien said cooly.

"What makes you think that?" I asked, unfazed.

Damien smirked and called out to behind me. "Boys, show these girls your new friend."

I frowned in confusion and turned to look behind me. Two hedgehogs came out into view dragging a battered Shadow. My heart leapt into my throat and I felt like choking. I immediately moved to see him and I felt someone grab hold of my arm.

Rage blew up within me and I turned sharply, growling animalistically. Sonic leapt backwards in shock and I could see similar looks on Damien and Karley. Oops. Oh well.

Then I rushed to Shadow's side, lifting his head carefully. Tears brimmed my eyes, threatening to fall. Shadow's eyes met mine, and just then, the two men dropped him like a sack of potatoes.

He fell into my arms, grunting in pain. "Shadow!" I cried out, holding onto him as gently as possible.

This is ridiculous! Why can't he stop putting himself in danger for me? Why does he have to keep getting hurt for my sake? Guilt tore at me and I fought back a sob.

Damien's voice rang out behind me. "I'd say its because we'll do a lot worse to him if you don't."

My breath hitched painfully. No, he can't. No no no no. I'm done letting Shadow get hurt for me, he can't keep risking his life for me. It's time I grew up and defended myself. But we were outnumbered. Even if I tried fighting, Karley and I couldn't fight all of them off by ourselves.

Shadow buried his face into my neck, breathing in my scent. "Dont go," he whispered.

"I have to," I told him, tears finally falling down my cheeks.

I could hear him struggling with Damien's men as they led us away.