Chapter Five: The Bandits Attack

Bucky sat down on the orange sand. He had put Mari's unconscious body leaning on a rock where all the younger Avengers sat. He sat down crossed legged. He put his elbows on his thighs and laid his head on his hands. He rubbed his head, trying to relieve the pain and stress. He switched his body position. Moving his right foot up and crossing his arms on his knee and laying his forehead on it.

"It's tough, huh." Bucky looked up when he heard the doctor's voice. The doctor sat down crossed legged in front of him.

"You can say that again." Bucky said, his already deep voice was raspier. He glanced back to the kids. Mari had woken up and was hugging Peter tightly.

Stephen looked back, looking at what Bucky was watching and saw the three siblings.

"It's hard." He said lightly, attracting Bucky's attention. "The Avengers. If they don't do what they're supposed to-" he paused, "we might never get out of this place.

The soldier moved his metal hand and placed it on top of the sorcerer's. He gave his scarred hands a comforting squeeze and gave a small, sad but hopeful smile. He said nothing because, really, he couldn't say anything but he just hoped the wizard would get the sentiment.

"Dr. Dad, um, hi." Mari said awkwardly. When she noticed the Winter Soldier she smiled. "Hi, pops!" Mari said.

"Hey, kiddo." Bucky said, smiling a bit. Bucky hadn't seen the kids much. Hell, the fight in Berlin might've been the only time they saw each other face to face but the kids were quick to invite them into the family.

Mari was about to speak some more when they all heard loud screams but they weren't screams of terror, they were screams of attack. Everyone quickly got up to their feet.

"Mari, Harley, stay back with Princess Shuri." Bucky said, he leaned down to his ankle holster and pulled out a very sharp knife. He didn't have his gun on him but at least he wasn't useless.

Harley hesitantly nodded but Mari crossed her arms in front of her chest and stomped her feet on the ground grumpily. "I'm not useless! I can help."

"Mari." Harley hissed.

Stephen did a couple of hand gestures and with the sounds of 'boom boom woosh' the orange magic circles appeared. "Mari, get back!" Stephen said, body in attack mode.

"No! You all think I'm useless but I can help!" Mari pushed. She wasn't usually one to disobey. Hell, tell her to jump off a cliff and she would do it. She hated disappointing people but she had had enough. She had multiple panic and anxiety attacks and she was in a God knows where so it was safe to say she had some pent up emotions that she wanted to punch out.

"Mariam!" Bucky and Stephen said at the same time and Mari flinched at her full name being used but she still stood her ground.

"No!" Mari replied, stubbornly.

Stephen, who had his back faced to her along with Bucky, turned around catching the attention of Bucky. "Yes." Stephen said simply before summoning a portal under Mari and Mari fell down with a shriek. Stephen closed the portal. He turned to Harley "you want to disobey, too?" He asked. Harley just put his hands up in defeat and walked away. Stephen turned back to face Bucky. "I'll bring her back when we finish this." He simply said and Bucky nodded. He had to admit, that was a cool trick.

The two went back to their power stance. They reached closer to where everyone else were and saw that they weren't moving and everyone was standing still. Even the ones that were about to attack.